Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Front Load Washer Woes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
131 replies to this topic

#1 Grimmspropeller

Grimmspropeller

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:11 PM

Banging sounds in the Kenmore Front Loading washers! (model 970.C40042.00)
I read some mailbag threads saying that there are two problems here:

1.) pulley is loose on the shaft
2.)bearing is bust and the whole back part of the tub needs replaced because the engineers at Frigitmore built it integrated into the plastic tub casing.

Unfortunately my problem is neither.  The bearing is fine.  No rust, no leaks.  The pulley fits perfectly and extremely tight on the drive shaft.  The problem is that the whole metal tub/shaft/pulley have play if you push and pull the pulley in and out.  It's as if the pulley is NOT pulling the tub tight up against the bearing.

I have tried tightening the bolt that holds the pulley in place hoping that that would pull it farther down on the shaft and get rid of this play, but alas it doesn't help.   Is it possible to put a washer on the shaft between the bearing and pulley hopefully eliminating the play?  Help me Obi Wan Kenobi's!  You're all, my only hope.  The metal tub is starting to cut into the interior plastic tub housing during spin cycle. YIKES! noisy!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:41 AM

Rust and leak streaks are signs of end-term bearing failure; the absense of these is not a conclusive indication that the bearing is unimpaired. 

Remove the belt from the drum pulley and spin the drum by hand.  If you hear noise, that's the bearing.  There's a less expensive bearing kit available here

#3 DB130

DB130

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:39 AM

I just replaced the bearings on my Frigidaire front-loader rear tub assembly which is very similar to yours.  What a pain in the butt....  The inner stainless tub didn't want to come out of the rear tub half.  I had to use a wooden rod and a hammer to punch it out.  I then found that  the inner bearing was totally shot as it was covered in brown goop.  The dead bearing came out of the tub in pieces after repeated attempts w/ a metal pipe and hammer. 

The cost of new bearings+bearing seal+tub seal w/ shipping came to about $45 after a lot of searching.  If I had to do it over again, I'd certainly consider buying a new rear tub assembly which comes the new bearings and the bearing seal already pressed.  I think it comes with a new tub seal too(but don't quote me on that).  Under $140 shipped!

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:25 PM

now comes as an entire assembly-front and rear tub shells already assembled(bolted together with 17 bolts) and the spin basket inside and rear pulley installed- just swap it out,front boot,weights,motor and airdome are the only pieces to exchange. price is under $150.00 complete even up here in canada,sure to be less in the good ol' u.s. of a.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:16 AM

Come on Kdog, don't just tease us........

Tell us a part# and where???????

That sounds to good to be true, is that price of $150 customer retail price or wholesale price?
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:41 PM

o.k. here it is  part #134453200 tub ass'y.  retails at sears here for 149.95(plus tip),designed so one person can replace it in the home(still time consuming).
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:38 AM

Well, wouldn't you know it, Sears in USA website doesn't list that part#.

Cost $208 to $221 retail on multiple internet sites that I use for pricing.

My wholesale price from Marcone: $195.19

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 binki

binki

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:03 PM

Budget Appliance Repair, would you please post the part number for this? I think it's the answer to my problem. My FL washer is a Kenmore 417.40042990 which started staining my clothes with oil and making lots of noise. The nice man from Sears came out and said it'd be $450 for parts and another  $450 for labor.  Needless to say, he wasn't surprised that we declined!He verified that the bearings were shot. Can I ass-u-me that this meant the "rear bearing" assembly discussed in this item? Is that the part that always goes on these machines?

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:41 PM

Why not use this bearing kit?

#10 binki

binki

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:49 PM

Is that all I need? That can't be right; the Sears guy was talking about $450 of parts!I thought I needed this: http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=407639

#11 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:11 PM

S---s will nor replace just the bearings. Their argument (up until recently) would have been that it wasn't a "factory authorised repair". Given that Friggidaire now supply a bearing kit, I'd like to hear their argument now.

Also, you'll pay about double the retail price for a part used as part of a repair job. Labour on a tub replacement - say 3 hours at $60/hour, plus trip charge, around $250. Add extra if the dryer is stacked on top for a helper to de/re-stack.

I've been away from them for nearly three years, perhaps some of the current S---s/fellow "exes" could comment.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#12 binki

binki

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:07 PM

Double the price, I'd expect. But ten times? Outrageous. If you're right, and this can be done for $40, I will certainly be donating to the beer fund around here. (And imagining, but not going on, a serious whoopass rampage)I don't get it, though. So many people seem to have the same problem with this washer or ones like it and are so angry...if it can be a $40 repair, why isn't everybody shouting this from the rooftops?

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:11 AM

Binki, The part# is in the post just above mine.

Here it is again: 134453200 and RepairClinc can get it for you
CLICK HERE to order

It doesn't show a picture but it is the complete assembled outer tub with inner stainless steel spin basket with all new parts for only $218.40 instead of $250.90 for just the back tub half with bearings and seals.

The problem with just ordering the bearings is once you get it apart you might find that the tub shaft may be rusted badly from leaking for a long time and also who knows how bad the tub spider is at this point, seems to be quite a few of this breaking also.

The complete tub assembly would most diffinitely the easiest way for a novice and then you would have an almost new machine.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#14 binki

binki

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:43 AM

Oh, I get it. I misinterpreted your post about Sears in USA not carrying that part. Thanks for setting me straight.Well, I'm feeling pretty confident after having fixed the dishwasher last night, and my birthday's coming up and all...I'm going for it. Osu, sensei, and don't be surprised to see me back here asking lots of questions...

#15 jms336

jms336

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:42 AM

Question: my frigidaire (kenmore) front load washer has become really, really loud in the high speed spin.  Is this the same problem being discussed here?  It sounds like a jet getting ready to take off!

I can't detect any wobble or leaking oil, but I assume this is the bearing getting ready to go out.  It has been stable (not getting worse) for several months or more.  Wife is threatening to make a call, so need to move fast to save some cash.

Thanks for any help with this.  I can't believe I found this discussion group, you all are amazing!

John

#16 jms336

jms336

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:07 AM

It's not a banging or squealing sound, really just a very loud whooshing sound.  Not high pitched at all.  Maybe a bit like surf crashing on a beach?  But very loud!

#17 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

You need to take a look at the area around the pulley at the back - any signs of brown gunge oozing out?
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#18 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:17 AM

I can almost garantee you that the noise is the bearing going out. Do as MadMac says, remove the back panel and look for brown streaking down back of tub.

Even if no streaking yet still believe you are hearing the first signs of the bearing going out, (meaning seal is leaking).
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#19 jms336

jms336

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

OK, I have a visual on brown gunge.  Will be replacing entire tub unit with part from repairclinic.

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom, Oh wise ones!

#20 wweasel

wweasel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:35 AM

I bought a Staber to replace the Frigidaire POS that I spent hours taking apart. The replacemeent parts mentioned in this thread weren't known to me 8 months ago when I replaced the Frigidaire. All I can say is that I am very happy with the Staber. If you want to get more info, you will find it here, or you can email me at robert.perkins@hotpop.com. I have no affiliation with Staber; I just hate Frigidaire now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics