Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Computer version of the "Model Number"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 superba

superba

IkkĊ-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:16 AM

Hi,

In order to get a sensible answer to a computer question, you must provide a comprehensive description of your computer. Model numbers don't work because most computers are totally changed from what they began life as. In my case I roll my own. So, in order to get started with a question about computers you need to describe your computer as:

Motherboard type:
RAM in MB:
How many & capacity of Hard Drive(s):
CD Rom drives: how many & type
DVD drives: how many & type
Network Card(s) (NICs); how many & type
Power Supply: type and rating(on the sticker on the PS)
Operating System: Name & Revision(control panel>system)
Service Packs: what number and Revision(above)
ISP(internet service provider):
Connection: dialup, cable modem, DSL, other(what?)
How many open sessions at once? (ctl-alt-del; look in task manager for processes)

There is a utility called Everest that you can run that gives more than you ever wanted to know about your system that could be uploaded to answer all the questions. It was free up until v 2.2. Maybe you can find a copy; it will make life a lot easier if you have a problem.

After furnishing the above, provide a description of the problem with how, what, when, where, why you think it's happening. This may take several iterations.

For AOL users, first stop is always AOL tech support; they installed their own software on your system and it's their responsibility to make it work.

Don't overlook the fact that many systems have too many addons(RAM, Hard Drives, CD/DVD drives, display cards, etc.) for the capacity of the PS. Some later systems have CPU's that require special power supplies; that's true for both AMD and Intel. If there's any doubt about the capacity of your power supply being enough, there are several calculators on line that are free where you list your equipment and the minimum power supply is given.
preying mantis

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 yodabug

yodabug

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:29 PM

Good POST..my video card for example plugs into my power supply..good thing I had the foresight to get me a Thermaltake 580 watt power supply when I "rolled my own"...

Everest is great. I use it myself. Another good tool to use is hoster. It is used to block malicious websites from loading. The kind that have been known to plant spyware on your PC. Or just Supply you with all kinds of nasty popup windows that most of us really don't want to see much less see so many that they crap out your PC and you have to reboot. Spyware avodiance. In conjunction with the HOSTS file found at mvps.org it works wonders for preventing spyware from infecting your system.

HOSTER:

http://www.majorgeek...ster_d4626.html

MVPS HOSTS File:

http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm

#3 wahnula

wahnula

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

I believe Everest is no longer free.  The Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com still is, and it gets all the pertinent data. 

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics