Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

D/W Air Gap

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tarheel Technician

Tarheel Technician

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:15 AM

Whirlpool dishwasher model number GU1500XTLT3.

This dishwasher was installed with the drain hose going straight down through the floor. It still has the drain loop on the left side of the d/w, but water is still siphoning out. Can I just put some type of air gap in the drain hose or should I tell the customer to call a plumber and attach the hose to the drain right under the sink? The house has a basement, so accessing the drain hose is not a problem. It ties into the sink drain, but it's below the floor instead of right under the sink like most.

Any suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:20 AM

yes,by all means,attach the drain hose to the sink drain and above the p-trap,otherwise,you have a constant vacuum which will never allow the machine to contain water for any lenght of time-it is also recommended that you raise the drain hose to at least the height of the d/w tub before draining- the loop on the side of the tub is there for operation of the d/w and has nothing to do with drainage
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,692 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

Behold:

Posted Image

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:46 AM

VOILA !!
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

Tarheel, Iemphatically refrain from any installation myself,but if your going to do this one thing I'd recommend is wrapping a piece of wire around the hose where it loops thru the cabinet to keep the hose from kinking in a few years .

#6 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:41 PM

Previous post should be I emphatically refrain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics