Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
mauigetaway

Waste King electric range element won't turn off

4 posts in this topic

Waste King electric element not turning off.  Knob is working but it won't turn off. Right now, I turned off the circuit breaker but  life has to go back to normal.  This is an older unit around 1970's and is built in so I can't lift up the top.  Is there anyway to disconnect just that burner?

If not, how about a good,reasonable repairman in Glendale,CA.

Mahalo.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I assume you are talking about one of the burners on the top.   Do the burners just unplug from the block?  If this is what you are referring to the inf. switch to the element is shorted or something in the range is grounded giving power to this burner at all times.  Guess you could try cuttng the voltage to the range and accessing the switch for this burner and un-plugging the wires and tapeing them off so the burner will not get any voltage if you cannot just un-plug said burner from the burner block, or removing the wires to the burner and tapeing them off.  We cannot tell what your range looks like and what sort of burners it has with the information provided

So if I tape off the wires , it won't be using any electricity?  Would it also work if I unplugged the burner?  Thanks so much for your information.

I would imagine the burner would not get hot if it was not plugged into the range....however the block it plugs into would still have electricity where said burner was plugged into so any liquid that might be spilled could get into this and cause the whole range to short out.  Would be better to cut or unplug the wires to the burner block and tape them off, or better still cut or remove the wires to the switch and tape them off..