Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Why won't they fix my heater?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rafael

rafael

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

My repairman horror story revolves around my disfunctional gas forced air furnace. When I bought my house the furnace didn't run. i managed to get it going, but it had a weird sympton: It would heat up quickly then shutdown the burners while the exchanger cooled. I pulled off the covers and found that the little sensor in the exchanger would rise quicly up to the point where it shut the burners off, then gradualy go down.

So, I calls a local heater repair outfit with a large yellow pages ad, and they send two guys over. They both look at my heater for a while, then instead of telling me I need this or that, retire to their van out front for about fifteen minutes.

When they return, they tell me they need to sell me a $300 maintenance contract before they can fix my furnace!

I sent them packing, but my furnace still doesn't work right. I figure I'll replace it as it is from the late 70's.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

You may have a plugged or cracked heat exchanger. They may have wanted to sell the contract because they knew it would cost many hundreds of dollars to fix it. Or perhaps they were morons and wanted to "shotgun" it with parts. If it's from the 70's it's time to shop. A new one will be safer and far more fuel efficient.

Nick
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 rafael

rafael

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

They wanted to $$$ before they would even diagnose. I think they were in the business of selling service contracts to suckers.

BTW cracked exchanger=bad but: how does one determine if exchanger is clogged? Thnx in advance.

#4 libertyjones

libertyjones

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

Cracked heat exchangers sometimes blow the gas flame in strange patterns. Too much blowing and you can start your house on fire or on older furnaces suck carbon dioxide/carbon monoxide into the house.

Clogged burner passages sometimes can be cleaned by a long brush but you need to correct the combustion problems causing excess soot first.

A mirror on a stick is the most useful tool for heater work followed by a flashlight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics