Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Microwave Trouble

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jgeorg

jgeorg

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

My in-laws have a Goldstar Model 1341 T 900 watt microwave. It has a surface light that has a high and low setting. The lights wouldn't come on. Hence they replaced bulbs with 2 new ones. However, the new ones will not light up either. I have checked the continuity of the new ones and they are fine. I'm not sure if the ones replaced were actually burnt. (I'll take my father-in-laws word.) What else could it be? 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,063 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

Is the light on/off switch one of the buttons on the touchpad?  If so, you have to replace the control board to get the lights back.  If you wanna save $200, use a flashlight.

#3 jgeorg

jgeorg

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

The light switch is a button on the keypad, as you described. Any way of  getting a  second hand control board?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,063 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:05 PM

In a word:  Ebay.

#5 jgeorg

jgeorg

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

My father-in-law called to get a price on the control board. The repair man said that as long as the keypad beeps, the cause isn't the board. The funny thing is  I can get a reading of 125V from the sockets but no lights. The bulbs are from an appliance store and fall within the specs of the maker. I have no problem changing the board if it corrects the problem but I don't want to  be a parts changing monkey.

#6 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

Jgeorg,if you are getting voltage to the socket, try pulling the tab that contacts the base of the bulb. Sometimes the tab gets pushed to far in to make good contact. Of course you know to unplug the microwave if you try this.

#7 jgeorg

jgeorg

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:45 PM

We did that exsearsguy. but nothing happened. :huh:

#8 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:51 AM

Jgeorg,I didn't really think that was it but it's cheap and easy.Is there any way to check for voltage under load? Without a lot of work,cause Samurai's suggestion of a flashlight is sounding VERY cost effective at this point.

#9 jgeorg

jgeorg

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:27 PM

Can you advise  how I might test underload?

#10 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:11 PM

Jgeorg,I hope you haven't given up on me. To test under load is just what it sounds like.Checking for  voltage when the light should be on. You will probably have to pull the cover off and put the meter leads ( I know you have one) on the terminals of the receptacle and turn the light on.BE CAREFUL,THIS IS LIVE. If you have voltage,then you have a bad bulb.

#11 jgeorg

jgeorg

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

[user=437]exsearsguy[/user] wrote:

Jgeorg,I hope you haven't given up on me. To test under load is just what it sounds like.Checking for  voltage when the light should be on. You will probably have to pull the cover off and put the meter leads ( I know you have one) on the terminals of the receptacle and turn the light on.BE CAREFUL,THIS IS LIVE. If you have voltage,then you have a bad bulb.

I'm not a quitter for the most part. I got a correct reading through the sockets. My father-in-law tested each bulb and they are fine.  So we figure its either the sockets no touching the bulbs. Now earlier on there was mention it could be the control board. My question is does the board control the grounding of the light circuit when turned on - excuse my layman talk.  The upshot is that my in-law has learned to live without a light. Can we talk about Craftsman lawn mower parts since I've recently acquired a power reel mower (sorry Master but I had to ask  given  his screen name)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics