LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Sharp Window AC units

nickfixit

Dose anyone who services these things have problems with part availability? I work for A&E (Sears) and our system has great problems getting Sharp AC parts. We are not allowed to contract Sharp directly, we must use our STAC tech service line. They jerked me around for 45 min and made it clear they didn't know what to do to get the parts. I can get the factory part numbers, but our system can not price them or order them.

I just gave the customer a receipt saying we could not get parts for the repair. Then the rest of the day I got calls and messages from our "customer service" wanting to know what my problem was. I chose not to answer that question, I don't think they would have liked my answer. (I work for A-Holes...)

We should never have contracted to work on these POS junkers. It might be ok to work on these in a shop, but doing the work in the customers home is a major pain. They are just Chinese made crap with no support structure. When we do get parts, it takes weeks and they often are wrong or non-functional.

Is anything made by Sharp any good? Their microwaves are crappy too.

Nick

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Start your own business. I've been in it for 2 years and will never work for anyone again. Start with Frigidaire and the home warranty companies and you'll be as busy as you want. All you need to start is an insured vehicle, liability insurance and register your business's name with the state/county.OK, it's not that easy but nothing worth doing ever is. You'll never work on anything you don't want to again.

I have received the same advice from our host, and you both make valid points. As my company strips us of our benefits, and halted all training, the independent servicer route looks better and better. The thing is, I do make pretty good money, I have 4 weeks paid vacation, a 401 K, and medical benefits. I'm on my 25th year with these morons, and it's tough to give this up. If it was just me, I would have quit years ago. But with a wife and 4 kids, I'm not looking to take big risks.

I haven't ruled anything out, and I'll happily take advise from those who made the move successfully. 

Thanks,

Nick

Sounds like it's Business As Usual at STAC, then......about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike :cool:

Archived