Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Evaporator Fan replacement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:14 PM

So....this all starts with the inlaws. They have a GE SxS (GSS20 IEPD WW) which came with the mobile home they bought a couple of years ago. Unit starts an intermittent high-pitched whistling sound, it's the evaporator fan motor. I take on the job of fixing it, and on looking up the parts breakdown, I see it's a motherboard model like the Arctica. I ordered the fan, it came yesterday, and I went there this morning, then the fun started.....

Posted Image

Here's a breakdown of the freezer. In order to get the evaporator fan into a position to work on it, you've got to remove the air duct, which in turn needs the auger motor and solenoid assembly removed, and also needed the icemaker out! The main rason for this is due to the wiring all being tied together, which brings me to....

Posted Image

Here's the fan itself. It comes with a 6-pin connector, only four of which are used. What they don't tell you is that on the existing fan, the two unused spaces have wires in them. Also, the wiring has a "boot" moulded around it where it exits the "orifice" (part 247). I finished up cutting the wires off the old and new fans, splicing them and sealing it with self-amalgamating tape. Unit finally back together after about 2 1/2 hours.

I know I'm out of practice. Ally that to the fact that this is a very small freezer (unit is overall only 20 cubic feet) and difficult to work on. But, is this kind of experience typical on these?
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:57 PM

Mad Mac, I used to use a hack saw or dremmel tool to cut those thermistor leeds (intact) from the old plastic harness and switch them over to the new one.  Now I use a WR60X10074 complete evaporator fan/thermistor assembly instead.

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

Thanks Jedi - a little more expensive, but well worth it to avoid the grief. If only GE told us that....

#4 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:25 PM

Mac,  I picked up a molex pin pusher at radio shack and used that,  That is one job that put me in a bull sweat man...Ron

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

Ron, I thought about the pin extractor, but still didn't solve the problem of the wiring through the "boot".

#6 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:06 PM

Ron, Mad Mac, Other distinguished members of applianceguru.com ,  I hope you will find this flickr photo set usefull and informative. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics