Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Frigidaire FRS24ZSG keeps going into defrost cycle.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_aviator2010@hotmail.com_*

Lurker_aviator2010@hotmail.com_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:15 PM

Hi

I have the  above fridge/freezer with ice/water dispencer. Roughtly every few hours the unit seems to go into defrost cycle such that the heating coil glows, causing water to run out of the freezer compartment. This has never happened before - should I replace the timer ? - if I advance the timer

with a screw driver, the compressor comes back on again. Causing alot of grievance anyhow with the water !!

let me know what you think - thank you

Brian

aviator2010@hotmail.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:19 AM

Sounds like your drain hole is plugged. The normal operations of a manual defrost timer is to go into defrost about every 8 hours.

No model#, no help. With model number we could tell you where to check for the plugged drain, possibly in bottom of frig compartment under crisper drawers.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Lurker_aviator2010@hotmail.com_*

Lurker_aviator2010@hotmail.com_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:05 AM

This is the model # FRS24ZSG - the timer does seem to work, I penciled marked it to see if it was moving - it was - so if you could tell me the location of that piece that would be mucho appreciated.

thanks !!!

Brian

#4 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:42 AM

http://www.partselect.com/Schematics/Frigidaire/6OMF6FIV.gif

Item 64 is your defrost drain. You'll find it in the lower rear of your freezer compartment, you may need to remove the back panel in the compartment. Your problem is usually more common on the older GE-built SxS models, but I've seen it occasionally on Friggidaires, where the usual problem is something getting stuck in the drain (frozen peas are a favourite!). Some warm water or one of those cans of compressed air for cleaning computer keyboards helps.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#5 aviator2010

aviator2010

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

William

Fantastic !! - many thanks - I will take a look - we have spilt the odd few peas into the freezer compartment, so your theory may well be correct - I'll take a look this evening and will let you know.

thanks again,

Brian

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,016 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

Great diagram and explanation, Mad Mac... even if certain grasshoppers were unable to see it, I'm sure others reading this thread in the future will.  Thank you.  And Willie, too.

#7 aviator2010

aviator2010

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

William

Tonites efforts ...

After shutting off the unit, took the 3 baskets out of the lower section of the freezer compartment,

located panel at back covering heating element coil. After removing 3 left shelve basket brackets to free up back panel to remove it,   saw below heating coil, drain hole. Ice covering it.

Had one pea located near it. Used hairdryer to melt a layer of ice that formed over it. At the back

of the fridge/freezer, removed lower panel. Black tube leading from underneath of freezer compartment, again used hairdryer to soften tube - there seemed to be a block in in from what I could feel - used pair of pliers to gently crimp tube to see if I could remove obstruction - got to the point where it would seem to be a gap in the tube to let water thru. Bottom of tube was connected to

an assembly which would seem to be collection tray. Could not pull tube off collection tray to try and inspect obstruction. Looking back inside freezer compartment, some of the water had drained, but not all, didn't see anything in collection tray at rear. Put everything back together again.

Now just a case of wait and see I guess.... otherwise, any suggestions re. black tube connection

to collection try removal appreciated. - can it be removed ?

thanks again for your assistance,

Brian

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:06 AM

pour hot water down tube to clear any ice and snake the tube out, an old speedometer cable would work perfect for snaking the defrost drain tube, another way to clear the drain tube is to use a rubber hose that plugs into and seals at top and blow through it to clear any obstructions.

Part ref#22 in the picture above is the drain pan or as you called it collection tray, it is also the mounting plate for the compressor and condensor fan motor.

If you have cleared the drain tube you should be seeing water in this pan when you pour water in through the top in the freezer compartment, it has no where else to go.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 aviator2010

aviator2010

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:14 AM

William

Thanks again - I'll try your suggestions - unfortunately it was too difficult to try and direct hot water down the plug hole because of the proximity of the heating coil being so close to it. I'll try and snake it if what I have done so far hasn't cleared the problem. Thanks for confirming Part ref#22 is  the actual drain pan. Do you think it's possible to pull the hose off the drain pan tray ? - in the tight space it is in, it's difficult to get at. avoiding the fan and other pieces back there.

thanks

Brian

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:02 AM

The drain hose should come out, but I can't tell you how because I can't see it from here, and the picture doesn't really show the complete hose and none of the parts sites have a picture of the actual drain hose.

Be careful trying to remove it, it may be hardened and brittle from the heat of the compressor in that area.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 aviator2010

aviator2010

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:32 PM

thanks William .

Looks like I will have to remove that to snake it.

thanks again,

Brian

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:49 PM

This is not about this Frigidaire unit, however there was a service bulletin pertaining to defrost drain problems with set ups like this one for another brand, that stated cutting off the end of the drain hose where in fits into the drain "pan" just a 1/4 of an inch or so because the water could not drain properly because it was too close to the bottom of the unit and could clog up the tube.  I cannot see yours so look to see if the end of the tube in the drain pan could be blocked somewhat in that area.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics