Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Maytag washer LAT9800

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_bekee64_*

Lurker_bekee64_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:45 AM

Hello,

I have a Maytag washer model #LAT9800 which we bought in 1994.  The washer will fill with water but will not agitate or spin out the water in any cylce.  The timer seems to be working because you  can hear a "ticking" noise when the washer is turned on.  The only other problem that I noticed is that the control knob was in the "off" position and I could still hear the "ticking" noise.

Please advise, the Maytag store has recommended that we purchase a new washer, as they assume the problem is an expensive transmission. I do not feel that a new purchase should be necessary after this time frame. 

Thanking you in advance for any assistance

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

Well, anyone who advises you to buy a new one onthe basis of that information is, with all due respect, full of :fart:

Questions - any other noises apart from the ticking? Does the machine spin/agitate if you manually turn the timer to the right spot?

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 Lurker_bekee64_*

Lurker_bekee64_*

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:07 AM

No, the machine does not spin or agitate if the timer/control knob is moved. I haven't noticed any other noises. The ticking only stops when the control knob is pushed in (turned off) or the machine is unplugged.   My husband has checked the drum, and he can turn it manually when the washer is unassembled.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:16 PM

So you don't hear the motor even trying to run? No hummmmmmming? Well, that's the problem.

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

Thought...the lid switch will kill everything apart from the fill on these, won't it? Doesn't explain the tick, though.......
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:59 AM

If it's the old Dependable Care washers, I think it even kills fill.  It's a good part to zero in on for further investigation.

#7 Lurker_bekee64_*

Lurker_bekee64_*

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:24 AM

Sorry for the delay in a response....I will have my husband check to door switch (we've had trouble with it before) and he wants to check the timer. 

Thanks, will update when he has accomplished the tasks.

#8 Lurker_bekee64_*

Lurker_bekee64_*

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

Sorry for the delay, first day off to try to fix the washer.  My husband found the problem, of all things, the "agitator interupter" wire was corroded by the motor connection.  After taking the washer completely apart twice, he found the loose wire, cleaned and reconnected it to the motor.  All is fine now. 

Thanks for the help  :D

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:42 AM

Great catch!  Thanks for the followup; I love a happy ending.  :dude:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics