Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

drot0729

Dryer heats, tumbles, and "almost" shuts off but keeps running

81 posts in this topic

the only thing i can suggest is to see if the timer motor is losing its supply voltage at the point that ot stops advancing and take it from there

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I just want to say again I appreciate all the time and patience you guys have. It has been a great learning experience for me as well.

Kdog, when you say supply voltage, do you mean the voltage going into the timer itself? I would measure the voltage as it is running and then again when it is supposed to turn off?

you need to connect a meter across the terminals of the timer motor itself and monitor it as it runs,if the voltage disappears,that is why the timer stops advancing- if the voltage is still there(110-120v) and timer doesn't advance,it is mechanical within the timer gear reduction- this is kind of a tricky test which,if not done correctly could cause harm and presents a shock hazard- if you don't feel comfortable with this,you should seek help from somebody who has knowledge of the risks involved. we techs always assume people understand the technical goop we are handing out. it like "speaking doctor"    assume= ass+u+me           :?

LOL...well then I will not attempt such a test...I have wired plenty of things both AC and DC but I will not attempt something like this that is risky.

I guess my time has run its course and I will have to get in touch with a guy I used to throw darts with to come and take a look at it. I believe he is a Sears appliance repair man. The tricky part is to find him. I don't want some guy to run in and just start replacing parts and seeing if it works. I am just going to hang onto the new timer I bought and put the old one back in. At least I know if the timer doesn't advance in the future at all, it would be a good guess that I could swap it out.

I will update the situation for all involved when I get someone in. I have a little mini vacation this weekend so the dryer will be the last thing on my mind until at least late Sunday. :)

Pegi/Kdog and whomever else was nice enough to input on my problem.

Pegi, you were correct in one of the assumptions and that the Heat Element was bad. I think throughout this thread I did ask where that was but it doesn't matter now. I got in touch with the guy I knew and he came over yesterday. He checked out the thermistor first, and that was good. Then I mentioned the heat element to him and that was what he was going for next and he took it out. There were pieces that actually broke off. So now it is all fixed and I wish I would of asked you again on where that heating element was so I could of accomplished this myself. :P

Oh well, it is now working correctly and I thank you all for the assistance and the learning experience.

Dan

Thanks for letting us know.   :P  Glad it is  working properly.   Believe you know this dryer inside-out now!!  :cool: