Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Removing Whirlpool Duet dryer blower fan?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 crobb100

crobb100

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

Hi-

I have a Whirlpool Duet dryer, model #GEW9200LWO. I was replacing the rollers because it was squeaking and thumping, and cleaning it up inside when I noticed that the blower fan was very loose. It has a lot of up and down play and there appears to be scrape marks on the back of the housing. I assume it shouldn't be loose. I removed the front of the blower housing to check it out.

There are arrows on the fan for "tighten" and "loosen". If I hold the motor to keep it from turning, the blower rotates freely. Seems like it's not attached to the shaft but I can't pull it off. Turning it in the tighten direction doesn't tighten it, nor does the opposite work.

How can I get this off? Is it supposed to be loose?

Help me please, O Samurai, or one of your dedicated disciples! Like Pegi, who seems to know most everything about appliances from what I read here. Also, it's been raining here in Massachusetts for about a month nonstop and my wife doesn't want to wear wet clothes any longer!

:violin:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:39 AM

It sounds like the blower wheel has stripped out.

The blower wheel screws onto the motor shaft, threads are opposite of normal, (Turn clockwise to remove). If when you hold the motor shaft stationary and turn the blower and it just keeps turning in either direction that tells me the metal threaded insert in the plastic blower wheel has stripped out.

You will probably have to use a hammer and break the old blower wheel off. Then you will be able to gain access to the metal insert that is threaded onto the motor shaft with vise grips or channel locks.

Here's the new blower wheel that you will need: CLICK HERE
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics