Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Bottom Freezer not cooling/leaking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Yackman

Yackman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

I have an Amana Refrigerator with a Bottom Freezer.  Model BX22S5E - P1196704we - I'm guessing (by the age of the house) that it is about 10 years old.

Last summer, I got a lot of condensation around the freezer door and it would often leak a small puddle on the floor.  I cleaned the dust off the coils under the fridge and turned the defroster switch and it started working properly again.

This weekend, the freezer door started leaving a puddle again - and the ice in the ice trays wasn't frozen all the way.  So I cleaned the dust (how in the heck are you supposed to get the dust out of the back - I had a vacuum cleaner and ducttaped straws pulling mouse-sized dustballs off of that thang!) and fiddled with the defroster switch... and the freezer door has continued to leak (like, cups of water - if it were beer the Samurai would be a collecting it in mugs!) and now it won't make ice at all.

I went into the back of the freezer - opened it up - temperature was about 40F - expected to see a clogged drain - but alas, it was clear.  The only frost was on (what I presume to be ) the defroster thermostat -it looked like a marshmellow- and there was only a bit of water on the coils -

After plugging it back in, the coils have frosted up ONLY in the upper right corner (after about 4 hours).  Kinda looks like the Samurai's picture of 'inefficient_fridge_system'. All fans are running properly - and when I turn the defroster switch out of defrost, it sounds like the compressor is running.  The temp is down to 38F.  From what I've read, it sounds like the compressor may be going bad.  Is there any way to 'jumpstart' the compressor (besides a ballpean hammer?) or do you have any other recommendations?

Yackman "I have a meter and I'm not afraid to use it"

PS - I really hope you can help me be 100% satisfied, because the last thing we need around here is steaming entrails...After all, at this point, we can't freeze them!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:53 AM

Hi Yackman, Caught me by surprize on the phone, well did you ever get a complete frost pattern or is it toast?  I read that you have already had a condensation problem but I'm sorry to say that I don't think that is your problem now. If you do have a complete frost pattern check both door gaskets, if leaking air this could cause a overheated compressor and shut down prematurely.  Shut down unit and let the compressor cool off and try again. 

#3 Yackman

Yackman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:04 PM

Thank you for your help. From all accounts, it appears that the compressor is failing. The frost pattern stays similar to the picture. Mrs. Yackman and I went shopping tonite and bought a new fridge. Somehow, the ten year compressor extended warranty for $49 seemed like a steal!

Before we throw away the old fridge - are there any 'last ditch efforts' to get it working? It's not like I need to worry about breaking anything!

Thanks again!
Yackman

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:49 AM

Nothing to do if the compressor is failing except an expensive sealed system repair.  Might I ask what brand the new frig. is??  And if it is a Kenmore post the model number so we can see who made the box.  Pegi
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Yackman

Yackman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

We got a 21.7 cu. ft. GE. We went back to the freezer on top. When we had the bottom freezer, our produce would often freeze because it sat right on top of the freezer! Model is GTS22KHP. Retail price was $830 - got it for $719 from HHGREGG. (+49.99 for 10 year compressor warranty + 25 deluxe delivery (after rebate)). Here is a link to its features http://absoluteappli...1cufttore3.html

I asked the salesman if it had a defroster switch or if it had adaptive defrost - he wasn't sure about that one - otherwise, he seemed very knowledgeable.

Regarding a last ditch effort on the old fridge - I read in another thread that you can turn on the defrost heater by shorting the defrost thermostat which made me wonder if my dt was constantly shorted, causing the heater to battle my compressor. So I disconnected it. It didn't make a difference.

Thanks again!
Yackman

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:25 AM

Read this and then consider returning that GE:

http://fixitnow.com/...ng-but-good.htm

#7 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:26 AM

:yikes: YOU DIDN'T:bathead::gimmebeer: WHAT PART OF KNOWLEDGEABLE SALESPERSON DON'T I UNDERSTAND:grr:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics