Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cavity Light in Amana SXD26VW

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrCheap

MrCheap

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:39 AM

Hi, Listers!

I inherited an Amana SXD26VW (same as Maytag, I believe) side-by-side fridge when I purchased my home. Initially, the water dispenser and ice maker were not getting water. Changed the filter, still no water, even though there was pressure in the line, and I could hear the solenoids click when I hit the depenser. Took out the dual-solenoid assembly at the back and checked voltages - both were getting the signal. AHA, MrCheap thinks, this must be a pure plumbing  problem - the water valves controlled by the solenoids must be clogged. Take solenoid assemblies apart, sure nuff, the rubber seals in the valve plungers had turned gummie (fridge must have been sitting in someone's hot garage in Florida for a couple of years...). Cleaned the valves, and removed the rubber seals and flipped them over. Works fine now. I have ice!

Spurred on by this moderate success, I find that there is no light bulb in the water/ice dispener cavity (called a "cavity light" on the schematic on the back of the fridge), and MrCheap purchases a 4W 120V night light bulb for $1.99 (actually, a 4-pack).  Doesn't work ! :yikes:  I figure out how to pry off the bezel without breaking it, and remove the metal grounded cover from the water/ice levers to access the wiring (watch out, there's 120V in here!  :poison:). I checked out all the wiring and switches and bulb socket - all seem OK. Plug fridge in and check voltages without a bulb in the socket, and read 12V AC. So I figure it's a 12V bulb, and go buy a couple. Doesn't work ! :yikes: With the bulb in the socket, and the cavity switch closed (ON), I read about 30 mV across the bulb. What gives? There's a black wire  coming in that connects to one side of all the 'light ON' switches, and the other side of the switches connects via a yellow wire to one of the bulb terminals. The other side of the bulb connects to a white wire, which, according to the schematic, is the neutral from the plug. So maybe the bulb is 120V, but why is it not getting voltage? The only remaining thing to check is the black wire , which, according to the schematic, gets changed from the red wire connected to the hot side of the power plug somewhere along the way.

Any ideas? Does this fridge take a super-special (i.e., super-expensive bulb) ? I can't find anywhere online the type/specs for this bulb, and I don't have the old one. Maybe MrCheap will have to buy a whole new fridge so that the light will come on when water comes out... :?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:51 PM

check under the door hinge cover where the wires run for either a disconnected or damaged wire
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 MrCheap

MrCheap

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:57 AM

Very Good, kdog - there is a 4-wire connector under the hinge, and guess what - the pin for the white wire (neutral) had pulled back about 1/8", just enough to not make a connectiion...

Now, I have light when I have water! Thank You!  :D

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:48 PM

you're very welcome- i love ahappy ending  :cool:
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 winger

winger

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

"Hi, Listers!

I inherited an Amana SXD26VW (same as Maytag, I believe) side-by-side fridge when I purchased my home. Initially, the water dispenser and ice maker were not getting water. Changed the filter, still no water, even though there was pressure in the line, and I could hear the solenoids click when I hit the depenser. Took out the dual-solenoid assembly at the back and checked voltages - both were getting the signal. AHA, MrCheap thinks, this must be a pure plumbing  problem - the water valves controlled by the solenoids must be clogged. Take solenoid assemblies apart, sure nuff, the rubber seals in the valve plungers had turned gummie (fridge must have been sitting in someone's hot garage in Florida for a couple of years...). Cleaned the valves, and removed the rubber seals and flipped them over. Works fine now. I have ice!"

Hi MrCheap,

I am a newbie here.  If I'm not doing anything right, let me know.

I have an Amana SXD26VW as well, the ice maker is not getting water but the water dispenser is working fine.  I'd like to use your approach to take a look at the solenoid assembles to make sure there are no gummie seals clogging the flow.  Can you tell me the location of these solenoids? If you have other ideas of fixing, I'd like to try.

Thank you.

Winger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics