Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Tappan Gas Range Won't Light

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Retired

Retired

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

The model # on my range is tgb500ccb-2 and just started failing to light yesterday. The igniter glows if you turn the heat dial to a high (didn't try to figure out how high I must turn the dial) but no gas exits the burner. With the igniter glowing, I used my bbq lighter to try to light the burners but no go due to no gas. How do I determine which component is defective? I have a dvm and know how to use it if someone can tell me what to check.

Thanks,
Wayne

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Retired

Retired

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:42 PM

I just now found the page discussing 3.2 to 3.6 amps for the igniter. I'll have to find an amp probe but maybe that's the culprit even tho it's glowing.

Wayne

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:13 PM

If you have continuity between the 2 terminals on the safety valve after removing the 2 wires, after unplugging the range, your ignitor has gotten too weak to open the gas valve.  Holding your bbq thingie to the burner will do nothing except light the way to see better in the dark cavity of the chamber.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 Retired

Retired

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:08 AM

I just now checked the amp draw on the line from the gas valve to the igniter and found it only had 2.77 amps. Given this, do I still need to check continuity on the gas valve terminals? It's a built-in and the AC connection is behind the unit....I know, I know....I'm lazy.

Wayne

P.S. What is the pt # for the igniter and what would my cost be?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:16 AM

This universal ignitor kit from Maytag is better quality than the cheesy ignitors from Tappan and will fit nicely into your range. 

Posted Image

#6 Retired

Retired

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:32 AM

Thanks Exalted Grandmaster, I just now ordered it.

Wayne

#7 schultzmom

schultzmom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

I am having problems with my Tappan over. The burners on top of my stove work fine, but my oven won't light. Is this the same part that needs to be replaced?

#8 Retired

Retired

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:23 AM

I am certainly not the fixit master but if I were you, here's what I'd do to find out. This is totally based upon my recent experience.

1.  Unplug AC power to oven
2.  Unplug both wires going to gas valve
3.  Check continuity between the two connections on the valve..should have continuity.
     If not most likely a bad valve.
4.  If continuity OK on valve, put connectors back on valve.
5.  Plug AC power back in.
6.  Turn oven on and check amp draw on line from ignitor to valve.  If out of spec with
      your style of ignitor,  highly suspect ignitor even if ignitor is glowing.

In my case, it was the ignitor.

Wayne

#9 schultzmom

schultzmom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:32 AM

Thanks. I will give it a try.

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:27 AM

;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#11 Lurker_Shermo_*

Lurker_Shermo_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:42 AM

Have a Tappan gas oven Model # 30-3352-23/02 from about 1990.  I'm pretty certain I need a new igniter for my Tappan oven.

My problem is that the oven sometimes will not light, or it may take a very long time to light, even though the igniter glows when it is turned on.  When the oven does light, the temperature usually fluctuates, and rarely reaches the desired temperature.  Oddly, when the range burners are lit, the oven temperature (once lit) remains relatively close to the desired temperature, but usually 25-50 degrees lower.

My question is, to replace the igniter, must you pull out oven, lay it on it's back & disconnect AC prior to safely replacing igniter?  I don't think I can fit into the broiler section to replace igniter in its current location!

Thanks

#12 Retired

Retired

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:18 AM

Not sure if your Tappan is the same as mine due to the difference in model numbers but certainly would suggest that you disconnect AC from oven before troubleshooting. 

I removed the broiler by just sliding it out and lifting to remove.  Once this was done, I had enough room to replace the ignitor without completely removing the oven from the wall.

Wayne 

#13 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

if your ignitor comes on and is a burnt orange color its bad ,it should be so bright its hard to look at
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

#14 mensch

mensch

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

I have the same problem you discribe with my Tappan Model #TGF356BCWB . I checked the current from the ignitor to the valve and have 4.1A. So I gave the vavle a tap, and the oven fired up right away. This will be the second valve for this oven. I replaced it once already in 2003. Maybe that why it's called a Tappan, cause it seems you have to do that to get the oven to work.:? Unless 4.1A is too much and I have a different problem.

mensch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics