Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
rhavoc

Kenmore washer trnsmission gone??

3 posts in this topic

I have a Kenmore series 80 washer SN 110.20882990 it was making grinding and popping noises during the spin cycle which I didn't pay attention to until I had to when the coupler broke.  I replaced the coupler and now it agitates and spins etc but there is still a big problem. During the spin cycle when the tub is emptied of water and the rpms get high there is an increasing grinding noise and the agitator stops suddenly with a loud bang then starts spinning again until it gets up to speed and bangs again. This is not a balance problem as it does it while it is empty and I am watching it. I took the agitator off and found no problems although in working with it I notice that when I spin the agitator by hand it has a grinding feel which "can't be good"

Should I just move this thing out to the curb or is there something else I should try??

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

remove the agitator and check for a worn out drive block    :(

Your transmission is wasted. It's trying to spin and agitate at the same time. If it's less thaan 5 years old, the gearcase is under warrenty, but you have to pay the labor costs if it's over 1 year old.

Nick