Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Guest A LITTLE FRUSTRATED

KENMORE DISHWASHER

8 posts in this topic

There's so many flashing lights on my Kenmore dishwasher I'm beginning to think it's Christmas, or maybe the Fourth of July.  My dishwasher is about three years old, model 587.16079200.  There's six lights flashing:  Lock On, Washing, Drying, Sensing, Clean, and the 6 hour delay.  The problem seems to be intermittent, this is about the tenth time it's happened.  The first time it was still under warranty and a repairman replaced the control panel.  It seemed to be good for about a year, then it started happening again.  At first it seemed to self-resolve in a few hours, then it was a few days, the last time it was a few weeks.  The last time I contacted repairclinic.com for help and the "guru" suggested it might be the control board, so I ordered one.  Of course, by the time the double-secret special part backorder came in three weeks later, the problem resolved itself, so I held onto the part for the next flare-up.  When it happened, I confidently replaced the control board only to see the same blinking lights when I turned the power back on.  Unfortunately, 30 days have more than expired and repair clinic won't take the $100 part back.  I'd replace the control panel again, but I can't afford to replace a $120 part every few months.  I'm tempted to disassemble the dishwasher with my shotgun, but before I do, can you offer any help?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Find the tech sheet for this dishwasher-- it's hidden in the dishwasher unless the last guy whoi worked on it "borrowed" it. Common hiding places are behind the kickplate and inside the control console. We need the tech sheet to know how to put the dishwasher in diagnostic mode.

OK, I have the tech sheet.

On the fourth page, there's section titled Water/Service test.  I can't read the text, but you can in the original.  That's the test you want to run. 

How did this turn out?  I have the exact same problem with my Kenmore 587....(Frigidaire) Dishwasher.  We had a tech out and he could'nt fix it nor determine the exact problem.  He said we should order a control board.  I decided to look into it before dropping $120 without knowing what the problem was.  I could'nt get the water/service test to work.  It runs when I give it power but doesn't respond to any buttons.  If you could tell me how this turned out I would appreciate it.

Another one who loved us and then just left us.  Oh, God, I feel USED!  :moon:

We had a service guy come out and he was awesome. He said that the water needs to be really hot (> 140F) before starting the dishwasher. This worked for us - no more flashing Washing light.