Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Trouble on Forums

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doc_cottom

doc_cottom

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

I had been participating in several forums and all was well with my soul. Then I ran Microsoft Windows Update, updating my Windows 2000, IE 6, and Office 2003 basically all in one setting. Yes, I know I should have checked for problems between updates, but I was having too much fun.

When I was done, I could not post...all I would get is a blank:about window. I worked a week with the newspaper forums, without success, and spent several hours dealing with Microsoft. I had no doubt the problem was on my system, as my wife's computer, on the same home network, but with Windows XP Pro, was able to post just fine. In fact, (And DO NOT tell her this, but I used her computer for about two weeks while she wasn’t at home.)

In desperation, I downloaded and install this new Firefox browser, and that fixed the problem. I still can't use IE on forums, but WHO CARES?

Van

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:54 PM

Check the security setting in the upgraded IE-- I think they've defaulted to higher security settings.

#3 superba

superba

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:43 PM

Hi,

If you happen to want to revert to the settings prior to the Windows Update orgy, you can find the uninstall files underneath your Windows subdirectory on your system drive, usually C:. The uninstall file folders will be named like this: $NtUninstallKB887797$; look at each folder until you find the one(s) that you want to uninstall. Unfortunately, Windows 2000 does not include System Restore like XP does, for that would be the easy way to just drop back to your previous installs.

If you want to do it the thorough way, go to the Windows Update site and access your updates on your computer. Print or copy the list so that you can get the KB number associated with each update. Then you can remove the updates from your machine systematically. The KB number is included in the folder name; for example: $NtUninstallKB887797$

The Grand Master is probably correct in that the updates to IE v6 tightened up your settings so that you're having problems. Your default home page in IE is set to about:blank instead of what you apparently had before.

Careful with depending 100% on Firefox; it cannot do some things as well as IE e.g. access *.pdf files with grace, and some sites simply won't allow it but they're getting fewer and far between. Also, I FF has trouble saving a web page as one file, *.mht, and IE can. So, I run both IE and Firefox plus a couple of others.

I like Firefox because it has saved usernames and passwords for many, many sites and will produce them unless the site locks it out. That feature alone makes me use it the most.

HTH.

Cheers!

Jim
preying mantis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics