Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Old GE central air unit

Tarheel Technician

I've got a 30 year old GE central air unit that was giving me trouble.......the condenser fan would run at full speed, then slow down and run at a slow speed. I checked the fan capacitor and it checked good. The fan was drawing about 2.8 amps, and it was rated at 1.5 amps. I figured the fan motor was the problem, so I replaced it. While I was doing that, I figured I'd change the capacitor as well, just to be sure. Well, now it's been working fine for a few weeks and it is doing the same thing.

Is there something else I should look for, or maybe the new fan or capacitor is bad? (Although I doubt it, lol)

The model number of this unit is BGTA730B1B

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Force has sent me a vision of a machine that has been worked on by many different  techs over the years.  The wires could be a real rats nest.  They had a funny way of wiring the caps on those anyway.  It is possible your fan is on somehow wired in with the compressor cap or even in series with the crank case heater.  On a unit such as this it might be best to just pull off all the wires and start over. Wire it real simply like a rheem.  Have the contactor handle both sides of line instead of one.  Is the cap the right size?  They don't all take 5caps these days.  Also the new motor could be the wrong size.  I believe those took a 1/3 hp 1075 rpm condenser fan motor,  I had one of those units.  It was 30 years old when I changed it.  I still see them around.  They were a good unit.

Guest ahammer48

Hello

U might want to look at the contacts of the comp contactor( if its suppling the voltage to the fan mtr). If there in really bad shape, change it out. Could be to high a resistence threw them.

:)

Archived