Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

kenmore dryer won't heat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_clarky_*

Lurker_clarky_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:34 PM

hi,

my kenmore 70 series dryer is not heating. originally it was not even turning on, i used a multimeter and found that the thermal fuse had blown. after replacing it the dryer now turns on, but has no heat. i tested the heating element and the thermostats, they are all fine, except for one wierd thing. on the cycling thermostat, there are 4 prongs, two at oppsite ends that are far away from each other, and two the are close together. when i test for continuity between the two prongs that are far away from each other, i show continuity. when i test the two that are close together, there is no continuity. should there be continuity between these two? do i need a new cycling thermostat?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:40 AM

To read the resistance between the close two little terminals you need to set you meter setting to something like 20k ohms.

The two large terminals that are far apart is what turns power on and off to heating element.

The two small terminals close together is a bias heater to preheat the cycling t-stat for the lower temp settings. Even if the t-stat bias heater has failed this would not stop the machine from working just wouldn't be able to get lower heat settings.

Have you checked the power going to the dryer to make sure you're getting 220volts to the dryer. It only takes 110volts to run the motor, the circuit breaker the sends 110volts to one leg of the heater only could have snapped off and not flipped the circuit completely off.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

Without a model number we do not know what is in this dryer.  70 series tells us nothing.  the model number is on the dryer after you open the door.  See if there is a t-fuse toward the top of the element canister above the safety, assuming this is not a DOTT dryer.  If your motor fuse blew your dryer was over heating because your dryer vent from the dryer to the outside is blocked so the heater fuse could have blown also, if it has one, that is.   Like was said, be sure both of your 30 amp breakers are on in your breaker box also.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 Lurker_clarky_*

Lurker_clarky_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for replying so quick. You were right, I tested the two close prongs on the 20k setting and it was fine. I tried resetting the breaker a few times with no luck, so i replaced the breaker. The dryer now works fine. That half of the breaker must have been bad. I really appreciate you helping me out on this one, you saved me from buying a part I didn't need.  For anyone using this as a refernece the model# of the dryer is 11060702990. Thanks again.

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:51 AM

:party:   welcome......
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics