Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchen Aid Dishwasher won't start up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Perplexed

Perplexed

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

Hey guys

I've been reading up all night about why my dishwasher isnt working..but cant figure it out. This seems like the most informative site..so lets see if you can figure this one out

The model number is KUDI25CHWHI

All I can really say is that when I press the start button..nothing happens. Usually I select the 'Normal' function, then press 'Start' and all goes well. For some reason..now I can press 'Normal' and it lights up..but then when I press 'Start' nothing happens. I can press 'Cancel' to clear the operations..and if i press Cancel again, the motor drains all the water out..but thats all i can get it to do. None of the other buttons light up.

I've tried to narrow it down but have no clue..all i could figure out is that i dont think its the motor because it drains water (i tried); i dont think its the control board because Normal, Cancel, and Child Lock can light up (I can turn child lock on and off...its off right now); I'm pretty sure the door locking mechanism works or else the buttons wouldnt light up in the first place..and obviously the breaker isnt blown.

thas all i got guys...hope u can help me out...because it seems my local tech wants to charge me $69 for the first 20 minutes and 10 bucks every 10 minutes thereafter....YIKES!

Thx

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:17 AM

Check power to the fill valve when you press start, have power replace valve, no power check float switch. Your local tech rates sound reasonable and I'm sure he/she guarantee's his/her (Hi Pegi), also part warranty, so don't count out the local tech.

#3 Perplexed

Perplexed

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:29 AM

where is this fill valve you speak so highly of? im guessing its not another name for the 'water supply valve' is it?

and when you say float switch...do you mean just check if the float is freely able to move up and down?

sorry...am a bit of a newb

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:54 AM

The fill valve is at the bottom behind the toe panel.  The float switch (flood switch) cuts power to the fill valve it you have really high water pressure and the float lifts up off of the switch under the dishwasher to cut it the water valve off if too much water enters the tub.  If the float is stuck up because of crud or grease you will not have any water entering the tub.  I assume you are trying to describe a situation where your dishwasher is not filling?? Does the motor run for wash even with no water in the tub?   The control sends power to the fill valve thru the float switch so if the valve and float switch check ok you may have a problem in the controls. If the motor does not run either for wash I would suspect you have problems with the controls in the console.  I charge a s/c of $45.00 + $20.00 each 1/2 hour + parts + tax, so your local rates sound reasonable to me, and you are paying for their knowledge and experience, tools, truck,  insurance, advertising, utilities, payroll.  Most people do not realize what it takes to open the doors on a service business every day.  :)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,401 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:44 AM

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

Most people do not realize what it takes to open the doors on a service business every day.  :)

Too true!  I've come to the conclusion that people will complain about what you charge no matter how much or how little it is because they just don't like paying for repairs. 

#6 Perplexed

Perplexed

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:40 PM

hey

sorry guys..i didnt mean to offend you guys in anyway. I guess id rather do it myself if i can..and wouldnt want to pay someone else because im lazy and couldnt be bothered to learn a thing or two.

anyways..the problem is actually that the motor will only start when i try to drain the machine (by pressing cancel twice). the child lock button lights up, the normal button lights up..and the cancel buutton lights up..so my guess was that the control board was ok..but i could  be wrong because the rest of the buttons dont work anymore. the float switch works because when i lift the float (with ease) i can hear it click..so there's nothing in the way of it. i couldnt find the fill valve behind the toe plate..but could that still be the problem if the float does work manually?

so the problem is that i cant initialize the thing the turn on in the first place...not that i can get it started but cant get the motor running or the water to start flowing

hope u guys can help me out...i have the control board off right now..dunno wut for really..lol

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:15 AM

http://www.servicema...t - 8051291.pdf

Perhaps this may help you determine if it is the control board or not..

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#8 Perplexed

Perplexed

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:19 AM

k..i ran the diagnostics and the machine finally turned on..i was so happy lol....but then it stopped when the cycle finished..i opened the door...and realized that the water never started running..the soap was released and is now in a pile on the floor of the machine...but no water

so the diagnostics did run the machine..but still not through pressing the start button...and water never got released..(but im not sure its supposed to since it was only a diagnostics test)

...still perplexed

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:17 AM

Me too, I would suspect you have a bad control board, but we cannot know for sure. 

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,401 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

These are tricky to distinguish a failed touchpad from a bad control board.  But never fear: Samurai has you covered.  Buy both the touchpad and control board using the form at the bottom of this page.  Install either one first and see if that fixes it.  If not, yank it out and install the other part and you got yerself a fix.  Now take that other part and return it for a full refund (less shipping).  Piece of pie, da?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics