Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Hotpoint CTX21GIXFRWW

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dougfanboy

Dougfanboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:16 AM

O great Samaurais!

My Hotpoint fridge has been steadily leaking for a number of years now.  My housemate/landlord says he bought the appliance as a floor model and it has always leaked.

Water pools on the shelves and at the bottom of the unit before seeping out onto the floor.

I have noticed that the (oh, boy, gonna get technical here) cold air vent thingy next to the temperature controls often drips, sometimes a lot, sometimes hardly at all.  That seems to be the source of the leak, but I am at a loss as to how to stem the flow.

Otherwise the fridge seem in good condition, chilling and freezing very well, so I am not anxious to replace it.

Do you think you can help?

Arigato,
Doug Campbell

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:00 AM

Sounds like the defrost drain system needs to be cleared out or the box tilted back so the water can go into the drain trough and the doors close by themselves...check to see if the box has a tilt to the rear first...if not take the freezer apart from the inside to see if the trough is blocked with ice/paper etc...if clear there check the drain cup area at the top of the food compartment at the rear and the drain tube that runs down the back of the box.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Dougfanboy

Dougfanboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:10 AM

Thanks!  I will check all those things this weekend.

#4 Dougfanboy

Dougfanboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:18 AM

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

Sounds like the defrost drain system needs to be cleared out or the box tilted back so the water can go into the drain trough and the doors close by themselves...check to see if the box has a tilt to the rear first...if not take the freezer apart from the inside to see if the trough is blocked with ice/paper etc...if clear there check the drain cup area at the top of the food compartment at the rear and the drain tube that runs down the back of the box.

Greetings and many thanks, great Samarai!  I pulled out my unit (I don't think it had been cleaned underneath  since it was installed), cleaned mass quanties of detrius that I don't want to even think about *shudder*, cleaned the drain cup area and tube. and rounded it all off by leveling the unit. 

I only did this yesterday, so it's just been a little over 24 hours but so far no puddle and no drips.  I think that did the trick.  Thanks again!

BTW, on this particular model (Hotpoint CTX21GIXFRWW) the coils are on the underside of the unit, rather than on the back.  This is incredibly annoying.  I cleaned as much as I could (I don't think my housemate has ever cleaned the coils in the 10 years he's had the house) with a Dirt Devil but there is still a lot of dust buildup it cannot reach.  I was wondering if anyone here might know of a good and fairly convenient method of cleaning coils located in this area.

Thanks and regards,

Doug

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

Might pick up a condensor brush, it is made for cleaning these coils and has a long handle....

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#6 Dougfanboy

Dougfanboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:31 AM

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

Might pick up a condensor brush, it is made for cleaning these coils and has a long handle....

Thank you!

#7 Dougfanboy

Dougfanboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:43 AM

Greetings again, great Samurai!  It pains me to once more beg a boon from you, but sadly, I have another problem with this very same appliance, and hope you may be able to help. 

I have noticed a very loud rattle coming from the refrigerator when the compressor fan (I think) turns off.  Any thoughts on what might be causing this and how best to repair it, great appliance masters?

Regards,

Douglas

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:33 AM

Going to need to get back there and see if it is caused by the fan motor, a loose fan blade or the compressor first....fan motor and blade can be replaced, if it is from inside of the compress would be time to replace the frig or live with the noise..

#9 That Guy

That Guy

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

Did the noise start after you leveled it? Or has it always been doing it?

For cleaning the coils on the amazing GE refrigerator, I use a long thin tube I made that I attach to my vacuum cleaner hose so I can suck the dust off the little "fence" at the back. Otherwise its almost impossible to clean the coils. No brush will do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics