Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

AC Fan or Capacitor?

Gaust

Hello,  I have an Arcoaire outdoor AC compressor that the fan motor quit running.  I dug out my DMM, pulled the service panel, and tested for power.  I have extensive DC experience but not much AC.  The contactor works fine, there's power to the fan run capacitor and power out from the capacitor to the motor.  I unplugged the motor and tested for power on all 3 leads and got 120volts on each.  The fan blades turn freely, they don't feel like they are bound up.  It appears to me that the motor needs to be replaced but I thought I'd ask for a second opinion before I purchased a new one. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the cap looks the least bit  "swollen" it's probably bad.  You can pick up a multimeter with a cap checker function at radio shack.

I forgot to mention that the cap appears fine.  I have seen bad caps before and I don't see any  swelling or bulging at all.  I guess I can pick up a cap checker just to make sure.  Thanks

Guest ahammer48

Hello

When U pulled the plug off the mtr did you check the voltage across the wires? If U did then U should have read 208VAC across the wires and 115VAC from each wire to GRD. I,m kinda assuming this is the condender section(outside) and main power to it is 208-1 ph- 60 cycle

Normally a condenser fan mtr is wired this way: one motor lead goes to the compressor contactor(or some relay contact). Thats one power wire (L1) out 2 the mtr. Another motor lead will go 2 one connector of the cap. They'll also be another power wire on that connector(L2). The 3rd lead of the mtr goes to the leaving side(charging) connector of the cap and it should be the only wire on that connector. Some manufactures do do it differentl. B :poison: careful. This is going to be line voltage.

Set the unit 2 call 4 cooling but disconnect the wires at the fan mtr( if possible).  Ur going to have to act a little fast to do this or U could take 1 reading, shut the unit off and then start it again to take the 2nd reading.

Use your meter and take a reading across the L1 & L2 wires(normally the black & white wires) U should get 208VAC. Take a reading from L1 to the other mtr lead(normally a brown wire) U should get 208VAC, possibly alittle higher. If U get the above readings then all is well with the unit, but UR fan mtr is defective.

If U can't disconnect the wires @ the mtr then remove them from there contact points in the electrical panel and make a diagram so U put them back right. Take the readings @ the contact points.

Hope this helps:)

• 2 weeks later...

[user=10641]Gaust[/user] wrote:

Hello, I have an Arcoaire outdoor AC compressor that the fan motor quit running. I dug out my DMM, pulled the service panel, and tested for power. I have extensive DC experience but not much AC. The contactor works fine, there's power to the fan run capacitor and power out from the capacitor to the motor. I unplugged the motor and tested for power on all 3 leads and got 120volts on each. The fan blades turn freely, they don't feel like they are bound up. It appears to me that the motor needs to be replaced but I thought I'd ask for a second opinion before I purchased a new one.

I have a little problem here. There should be zero voltage on one of the power leads like the ground side of the supply line?

the cheapest way and simplest way to check a condenser motor is to buy a little cap thats the same MFDs as the motor, 5 mike, of 7.5 or whatever and connect the cap to the purple common (or white) and the brown wire and apply 220 volts to the motor between the black wire and the purple (or white) common wires and take an amp draw reading with a clamp-on while the dang thang is running, this is what I do

Archived