Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag dryer doesn't heat up, blew circuit breaker

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 basmoq

basmoq

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

I have a 1 year old Maytag SDE4606ayw dryer that just ran out of warrenty and of course, just started acting up. At first, it blew the circuit breaker mid cycle. I switched the breaker back on and it worked a couple more cycles. Then it blew it again. Now after switching it back on, it runs, but after three hours of running (the dryer was set to intelli-dry) I noticed that it was running full tilt, but not heating up at all. I am very handy at repairs, but have never owned a dryer before and therefore know nothing about them. I imagine the heating coil (At least I imagine it's a coil) shorted out and that's what I need to replace, but I figured it'd be a good idea to check in here and see if there is anything else I should check. A short description of what to take off to find the heating element and anything else I should know would be appreciated, or a link if you have one handy. I'm having a bit of trouble finding a product manual with any kind of description of the part numbers as well, which would be usefull in ordering parts. Suggestions on where to get parts would also be appreciated (online, locally, etc.).

Thanks for the great forum, I'm off to do a lot of digging now!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 stumpowitz

stumpowitz

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:47 AM

Remove the lower access panel. With the unit unplugged or breaker off, reach in left hand side and remove two 5/16" screws that hold heater assembly to air duct at inside rear of unit. There is enough wire to pull the assembly out the front to inspect and test individual components.
Please tell your friends about us! If we helped you we may be able to help them as well!

#3 basmoq

basmoq

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:51 AM

sounds good, I would assume the access panel is on the front. Out with the new Craftsman voltmeter (Got a good new one, been looking for reasons to use it :) ) I'll post the results in a bit

#4 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:08 PM

Since you were popping the breaker on long runs prior, might want to verify correct voltage to your terminal block on the back of the dryer. With it running, you should read 220VAC from the two outside posts (L1&L2), and 120VAC from each of the outside posts to the middle (neutral). You might just of had a weak breaker or a loose connection raising your amp draw.  
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#5 basmoq

basmoq

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

well, I had actually considered this, because there are two breakers on the line, one I can reach right next to the plug, and another one in the room only the landlord can reach. The second breaker is the one that would flip, and the landlord just replaced it thinking it was the problem, but after replacing it, I have no heat when the dryer is running. Could his faulty breaker have screwed my dryer?

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:39 PM

You could still not have 240 volts to your dryer, what does your volt meter tell you you have where the cord is attached to the terminal block..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

With it running, you should read 220VAC from the two outside posts (L1&L2), and 120VAC from each of the outside posts to the middle (neutral).

Do the voltage checks first. I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with your dryer.....yet.  
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#8 basmoq

basmoq

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:01 AM

well, that was it, there is 120 volts from either of the sides to the ground, but no 220 across the sides... I'll have to get the landlord back out.

#9 bigger hammer

bigger hammer

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:22 PM

when your landlord replaced the breaker he tied into the same hot as the breaker you got......so both breakers are on the same hot

thats why L1 to ground and L2 to ground show 120

but 0 accross L1 and L2 cause it would be like putting both your meter leads in the same hole of the wall outlet

Before you start.....how much is it going to cost and how long is it going to take?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics