Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire side-by-side freezing everything

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sweetmommy

sweetmommy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:14 PM

I need some major help. Everything in my refridgerator freezes up (including ice maker and water filter). It started doing this at the factory settings, so we turned the cold controls all the way down and finally got things moving, but now the ice is partially thawing. It also seems the top of the fresh food side freezes quicker than the bottom. I think this all started after our power was turned back on. (I don't know what that would have to do with it. Could just be coincidence) Got any ideas?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:48 PM

Hi Mom!  What's that model number?

#3 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:06 PM

Also,  How long was the power off?  How old is the fridge? 

#4 sweetmommy

sweetmommy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:17 AM

Power was off the whole day because of bad weather. I'm pretty sure we didn't lift the icemaker lever to turn it off that day. It's a little over a year old. This morning the water filter is frozen again, but the icemaker is full. The cold controls are turned almost all the way down. I'm thinking maybe the cold air in the freezer is somehow getting over to the fresh food side, but I don't know why it would just start doing this when it's worked fine for so long. The model number is FRS26HF7BB2.

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:27 AM

There was an issue about 3 years ago with these doing exactly what you describe. Frigidaire brought out a kit which involved changing out the entire assembly in the refrigerator compartment which contains the air damper and controls. Can you give us an idea of the age of your unit, it may help us to pinpoint whether this is a possibility.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:28 PM

Apologies, hadn't seen that you'd already mentioned the age of the unit.

Yours has an electrically operated air damper which admits freezer air into the refrigerator compartment, I suspect the little motor may have fried when the power came back on. It may well be stuck open. It is controled by the refrigerator control knob at the top of the refrigerator compartment. Try turning that control and see if there's any difference in airflow. I've attached a wiring diagram FYI.

Attached Files

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 sweetmommy

sweetmommy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:52 AM

Hi.Haven't posted yet to see whether or not this would fix it. What's strange is that I was just trying to take the plastic casing off, moved it around a little bit, and before I had it completely off, the water started running into the icemaker again. The cold controls had been all the way down and we stopped having ice production. It has started running again now. I still don't know if the fresh food side is going to start freezing again. I'm slowly turning the control up little by little.

#8 Fixum

Fixum

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:40 AM

if this is a 23 or 25 cubic foot model with the freezer and fresh food controls in the top frount of the fresh food section the more than likely the control  box kit will need to be replaced   the part number for the kit is 5303918283:banana:
Fix On

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:11 AM

Thanks for the part number, Fixum.  Hey, Mom, the picture below is the control box kit and you can buy it here:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics