Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
jamesh

Aaah! I put detergent in the salt container

5 posts in this topic

Aaah! I put detergent in the salt container! What should I do?

I was low on salt, so I started pouring quite a lot in. Then realised I was actually putting in detergent! d'oh! The detergent seems to have partially dissolved in the water that lives in the salt container, but there's a slight scum on top.

Any ideas?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

What in hell are you talking about.....................

this must be an 18 inch danby portable unit you speak of, if you added the detergent to the salt container,every time the unit fills,it will dissolve some of the detergent,so you'll have poor washing results until its all gone- to remove the softener and clean it out is a monsterous project.best advice is to just run your dishwasher over and over without dishes until detergent is gone- this might take numerous cycles.         :(

Sorry, let me clarify. My dishwasher was flashing its light which said

it was low on dishwasher salt. I opened it and added some salt to the

salt container. The container is normally brim full of water, and as I

add the salt it dissolves in the water.

Except I wasn't thinking straight, and poured dishwasher powder into the salt container by mistake.

All a very sorry tale...

let's clarify for all,so we are all on the same page- unit in question is 18 inch danby dishwasher with a built in water softener, which is a chamber full of cation resin beads,which the fill water flows through prior to entering the tub,ionic exchange occurs between the resin beads and the calcium/magnesium in the water and is suspended in the resin- salt is added to reverse exchange and is directed out with drain water-you should be adding proper water softening salt to this chamber,not tablesalt (windsor crystal II is recommended); since you have already added d/w detergent to this chamber,you are going to have to run the unit repeatedly until the detwergent has been dissolved and purged. thoerwise,you'll be attempting to rinse dishes in detergent laden water,and this will not render desirable results- start running your machine now,and continue to run it until draining water is clear and the "add salt" indicator returns,then fill with the proper salt. life goes on from that point.                :yikes: