Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

New Spin on an old problem?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 astamand

astamand

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

Sorry, that was my first attempt at appliance humor; I will not do that again.

Ahem, anyway, as stated above I have a Frigidaire Model # FWT647GHS0 Front loader that all of a sudden decided its spin cycle would be better suited to shock test Space Shuttle tiles.  I'm talking an event so loud and house shaking that we though a plane was crashing into our yard.

I have done a lot of research on the issue and have all but concluded that the problem is the tub bearing as mentioned in this excellent thread:  http://applianceguru.com/forum2/834.html

So I went upstairs (this unit is on the second floor of our home) and yanked down the dryer stacked on top and proceeded to inspect the washer.  I removed the back and the belt and started fidgeting with the pulley but there is ZERO play in it.  It's tighter than a ducks arse in winter.

So I threw in some clothes and fired it up.  When it get's to the spin cycle the whole drum starts flying around like were in an earthquake.  I removed some clothes and tried to smooth out the load distribution but it still happens.  If I removed all of the clothes (and the water) the spin cycle is smooth as silk.  If I shake the drum slightly with my hand while spinning I can start to get it to clunk (I realize this is probably a BAD thing to do so even though it was entertaining I stopped once I realized I had this power).

There is no leakage near the bearing or anywhere in this unit. Both springs are intact and the shocks appear to be in tack and damage free as well.

So I am hoping that someone much wiser (and patient) than I can tell me if they would still suspect the bearing or not.  At this point I imagine it's my only option.

Thanks in advance for thinking about my problem.

Alex

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

Looking down at the top panel of the washer, place your hand at each corner of the NW and SE diagonal and attempt to rock the washer. Repeat for the NE and SW diagonal. If there's any play in either diagonal, that's the problem. You'll need to adjust the levelling feet distribute the washer's weight evenly among them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics