Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Performa Washer - Sometimes it spins, sometimes no.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:39 AM

I have a Maytag Performa washer

model number PAV2000AWW

Rev. 10

Serial Number 10418608SB

Everything works fine except about half the time the tub does not spin during the spin cycle.  Sometimes it spins normally, sometimes slowly, sometimes not at all. Seems to happen more often on the second or third load in a row. When it doesn't spin I open the lid and engage the lid switch with a screwdriver and watch as it's trying to spin. At that time the tub can be moved freely by hand. (Freely is a relative term. I can help move it with my hand. There is resistance. Didn't want to insinuate that the tub simply spun after being given a push).

Please to be helping me.

Bowing in your direction.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

Hmmmm..... Posted for 6 days and no suggestions? Have I offended?
Thanks.

#3 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:23 PM

When it doesn't spin I open the lid and engage the lid switch with a screwdriver and watch as it's trying to spin. At that time the tub can be moved freely by hand.

It's hard to fix something that is not broken enough to show itself. Your line above if correct would indicate a bad transmision. Something intermitently hanging up in the drive gear. This is one of the few units that the transmision is not just along for the ride in spin, it has function and can fail resulting in what you have seen. The fact the you can rotate the tub at that time indicates the brake is released which means belt, motor and thrust bearings have all done there job. I would let it limp along until it shows itself enough to pin point the failure. You can make sure the motor plate is slightly lubed with grease to enable enough tension on the belt when the motor pivots. You can also drop down your transmision pulley and inspect it for wear. If all looks fine there, lightly grease the washers and spacers and put them back in the same way they came out.  

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#4 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

[user=4044]Trying to help[/user] wrote:

I would let it limp along until it shows itself enough to pin point the failure.

Would this be when it doesn't spin? What would I look for then? Is there a description somewhere of what should be happening when the unit goes into the spin cycle?

Thanks

#5 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

I would lube the two area's I listed and inspect them. If the washers and bearing above the trans pulley are worn, bingo. If the motor plate has soap residue on it and the motor is not pivoting, a little sandpaper and a sheen of lithium grease and your good to go. If you can get it to where it does not spin and you do the test you listed earlier, unit running, switch engaged tub not moving, and you can rotate your inner tub easily and it will not spin by itself, bad trans. How it works, the unit goes into spin and the motor snaps over to apply enough tension to the belt to drive the pulley's (checking motor plate and lubing if needed). The belt drives up the transmission pulley and compresses the brake spring to release the tub (checking of washers and bearing above the pulley). The input shaft acts like a torque wrench slipping if the resistance is too great (tub full of water, if it spun right away water would rise over the tub from centrifugal force), as the water empties and the load becomes lighter the tub will pick up speed and gradually climb to about 500 RPMS. Unless of course your trans is FUBAR and has little pieces of "I don't want to spin sometimes" floating around in it stopping it every now and then. Which gives you the intermitent brake is released tub wont go anywhere by itself effect. Start by checking the motor pivot and the washers above the trans pulley (know as the thrust bearing kit). They are common and can be replaced or lubed within 15 minutes. The trans is not serviceable and is a pretty big job. Hope for the prior 2. 
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#6 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:10 PM

Thank you, will play with it tomorrow.

#7 inneedofsaki

inneedofsaki

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

I have a very similar problem. Origionally my motor slip plate stuck with rust from recent flood / tsunami. Water actually was comming up through the bleach dispenser as the brake didn't engage. A little PB Blaster and a good shod foot loosened things up for a while and all was well. Regrettfully, soon after it started again.

Upon closer inspection I have hopefully found true bliss. Broken spring on the motor plate. Will replace this weekend and post results. Should I reuse the 4 slides, or just replace the springs?

What do the springs attach to? If I need to remove the pully to replace the springs I may as well put the new slides on. We'll see I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics