Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Run capacitor question

Tarheel Technician

Whirlpool a/c model #: ACM102XK0

This may be a stupid question, but when looking at the wiring diagram, it shows a run capacitor hooked to the start winding of the compressor. Would this not make it a start capacitor??

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, putting my stupid question aside, this air conditioner was working fine when I checked it, but customer said the other day, when the compressor cut on....it would just humm for a few seconds then quit, then do it again, then quit, etc. like the overload was kicking in. He said the breaker (he has the old cartridge style fuses) got real hot. I looked and it was black around that particular breaker.

I'm thinking the culprit is a bad breaker, but I'm wanting some other input. When I checked the a/c, it ran fine, pulled about 7.5 amps (rated at 8.9 amps).  I couldn't get it to duplicate the problem for me, except when I just turned the thermostat back, then immediately back on again (which I knew would cause the overload to come into play). It tried about 3 times to cut on (pulling about 40 amps) and the 4th time, the compressor cranked up and ran fine. But under normal operating conditions, it ran flawlessly.

I did notice that the a/c is not on a single outlet, there were other receptacles run on the same breaker. But nothing that pulled a lot of amps were on those receptacles.

Anyone else seen bad breakers cause this to happen?

• 3 weeks later...

Heres another dumb question ...how many acs was they running on that house?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Check your contactor coil to see if it's getting the proper volts and if it is then maybe it's going bad, not pulling in the contactor as it should or the contacts on the contactor are going bad.Either way,if you have volts getiing to the load and the load isn't working the load is bad.I would also check for any bad connections from the transformer to the coil to make sure it isn't a broken connection , making nad breaking.

:dude: First your capacitor question. A start capacitor is utilized to boost power to the motor through the windings, and then drops out as the motor speed comes up. A run capacitor remains in the circuit as long as the motor runs, to create a phase shift, resulting in a more efficient operation.

My gut feeling is that your breaker is bad. Scorching at electrical connections is most commonly caused by poor electrical contact. Excess amperage will usually throw the C/B before any damage to wiring occurs. Most electrical fires are from bad connections arcing/overheating, rather than shorts.

It also sounds like the compressor is having trouble starting. You may consider installing a start-boost capacitor, like SUPCO and other companies offer.

tarheel I keep two different start boosters on my truck ,a hs850 and a hs650  sometimes I hook both of them up at the same time. this sometimes frees up the compressor if its stuck, if all else fails hit the side of the can with a hammer this sometimes knocks it loose if its been sitting up specially on them coffee can models IE rotary compressors :dude: most ac s I have seen have a start cap  not many down here have run caps  the start cap goes out of the circuit after 15 seconds or so

Archived