Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dishwasher #665.16912

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Chiseldog

Chiseldog

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:13 AM

My Kenmore dishwasher died.  I get power to the appliance.  I've checked the thermal fuse and get continunity.  I've checked the door switch.  It seems to be okay although even in the "off" position, I get a little current through it. (Is this normal?)  Is there anything else I should check, or am I looking to replace the circuit board?  Before it died, everything worked fine...no blinking lights, etc.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:27 AM

Chiseldog,  ok,  you have power,  fuse is ok,  door switch ok,  float ok,  could you have,  by accident put it in the demo mode?  This will put the dishwasher in a standby mode after 60 secs.  The display will be blank.   Try this on the key pad in this sequence...press...high temp,  air-dry,  air dry again and high-temp.   This will remove it from the demo mode if it's in it....let us know,  Ron

#3 Chiseldog

Chiseldog

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 04:24 PM

Tried that.  No go.  No display, no nothing.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:10 AM

There are more numbers in this model number.  If there is power to the unit, door switch is ok, fuse is ok, only other thing could be contol board or power to the board..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Chiseldog

Chiseldog

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:01 PM

Does this look like the complete model #:  665.16912001?

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

Yes, that looks like a good model number but since it is a Whirlpool D/W with a Kenmore name on it we cannot pull up any tech sheets.  See if you can find yours , usually behind the toe panel on the frame of the unit
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 Chiseldog

Chiseldog

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

I've got the spec sheet.  After looking at the wiring diagram,  I connected a test lamp between the door switch "black" wire and the vent actuator "white" wire and the light came on indicating that I'm at least getting power that far.  Now what?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:34 AM

Post your tech sheet here or fax it to me at 775-416-4449 and I'll post it.  That way, we can all gaze lovingly upon it and pray to the pot-bellied Buddha for inspiration. 

#9 Chiseldog

Chiseldog

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:16 PM

My spec sheet unfolds and is quite big.  Is there a specific part of it that would be most important, such as the wiring diagram, circuit diagrams, or do you need everything including cycle time charts?  If you do, I'll have to find a very large scanner or make a whole bunch of regular sized pages that you'll have to paste together like a puzzle.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:03 PM

The wiring diagram and any electrical notes would be a good start.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:45 AM

Here're the wiring diagram pages you faxed me.

Attached Files

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:25 PM

Chiseldog, I've run into this problem before.  You can read all about it here:

http://fixitnow.com/...-dishwasher.htm

Remove your kickplate and open the junction box.  Cut the circuit breaker and undo the connections at the box.  Tie in a light bulb or some other easy-to-install appliance and turn the breaker on to make sure you have current flow.

#13 Chiseldog

Chiseldog

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:18 PM

I've already done that.  As you can see from an eariler post, I've got power to the door switch and the vent actuator.

#14 GuidofromCT

GuidofromCT

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:44 PM

check from black @ controller to white @ controller. If you have power controller is n/g. If not may have lost neutral leg somewhere.

Good Luck

yo, just do what ya gotta do!

#15 Chiseldog

Chiseldog

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:45 AM

Aren't the black and white wires at the controller the line feeds?  Shouldn't I show power between those two leads?

#16 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:14 AM

do you indeed show voltage at the board,cause even if you do,doesn't mean there is not a power supply problem- read the grandmasters story of enlghtenment,where he too,showed a voltage,but withouy a return path could muster nothing more than buffalo wing flatulance.:shock:
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#17 Chiseldog

Chiseldog

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

Forgive my ignorance.  My dishwasher is on it's own dedicated circuit.  It has it's own neutral wire going to the breaker box.  When I connect the meter between the black and white wire and show voltage, if the neutral (white) wire is disconnected where or how  exactly can can I be completing the circuit?  How can my meter and test light show any signs of life if one of the legs of the circuit is disconnected.  And since I am showing voltage, it seems iI must have the neutral half of the circuit intact. 

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

Voltage does not make things run, current does.  Having voltage only sets up the potential for current to flow and do real work.  That's why only measuring for voltage is a necessary but not a sufficient diagnostic test. 

#19 Chiseldog

Chiseldog

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:28 AM

So please explain to me in simple terms how to do a sufficient diagnostic test and please explain where I am getting voltage from.

#20 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:41 AM

See my earlier post and read the link included therein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics