LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Air Conditioner smells like urine whe first starting up

Sesquipedalian

Sesquipedalian

Why would window air conditioners smell like urine when first started up after being shut off for a while? I own LG window air conditioners and they are not in a position for anyone to urinate on them. This is the 3rd season I had them and it happened last year also. I do clean the screens on them.

That is the closest smell that I can use to explain what it is like. It seems to go away after it runs for a while.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ahammer48

Hello

Most likely its mold.  Other then the smell does the unit seem to be operating properly?

If possible take the unit outside and remove its casing and wash it out with a hose.:poison: Naturally the unit should be un-plugged before doing this. I have found dead things(birds,mice,etc) inside units so B prepared 4 that. Look @ the wiring while U have the casing off and make sure U don't C any melted wires.

Make sure unit is completly dry before restoring power to it.

Hope this helps:)

• 1 year later...

It has to be the condensate in the bottom pan not fully draining out and the dust and dirt is growing things and turning sour.  The air flow goes right back over that water.The AC unit also has to have a small drop in the back side to make the condensed water  drain out. The rear drain hole needs to be checked for blockage. I  drilled four or five more holes in the rear bottom of my window unit. I had to be sure I didn't drill into the condenser coil or any component.

You say you clean them? Was that with AC coil cleaner which has a germicide to help kill the growth?  After I drilled the holes my urine smell left town.

jehiatt is right on the ball...alot of times you will either have no drain holes or ones hat are inadequate....drill em alittle bigger and add a few extras just for good measure...

Ok, problems here with this a/c thread.....yes the air will smell bad coming out of window units if they are not cleaned every year, and they have to hold water in the back pan to help remove the heat from the freon lines and keep the compressor cooled down....the reason for the smell is lack of maintance on the unit....repair all of the holes drilled in the pan with some sort of epoxy, this pan has to hold the water that drains from the front evaperator area, your problem is not the water being retained in the unit but not having the units cleaned every year,  The window units have built in over flows for when the humidity is high and the pan gets too full,  but the unit has to have this water for proper cooling....if you do not repair those holes to allow the water to collect in the back pan area you will be having a compressor problem sooner than later as it will be overheating and burning out internally.

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

Ok, problems here with this a/c thread.....yes the air will smell bad coming out of window units if they are not cleaned every year, and they have to hold water in the back pan to help remove the heat from the freon lines and keep the compressor cooled down....the reason for the smell is lack of maintance on the unit....repair all of the holes drilled in the pan with some sort of epoxy, this pan has to hold the water that drains from the front evaperator area, your problem is not the water being retained in the unit but not having the units cleaned every year,  The window units have built in over flows for when the humidity is high and the pan gets too full,  but the unit has to have this water for proper cooling....if you do not repair those holes to allow the water to collect in the back pan area you will be having a compressor problem sooner than later as it will be overheating and burning out internally.
I wrote two replys already and both disappeared. I can't paste from MS word where I can save it. I can"t find the webmaster either. Too much work for a third time.

Anyway - you missed some useful info

Archived