Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Old Maytag Washer ... just ain't what she used to be

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Celia King

Celia King

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

I was just given a Maytag washer (vintage 1972).  Since I had previously had zero washers, this was an upgrade, I hope.

Anyhoo ... we attached everything up as best as we know how, and turned the buggar on.  After taking the front panel off, we could see that water was going into the washer, but was not filling up.  As we took it apart, we could see that most of it was going into the tub, through the pump, and right out of the drain.

Three questions for the mighty samurai, and his minions:

1) What normally should keep the water from flowing through the pump? 

2)  We need to fix a connection in the back of the washer, but can't figure out how to do this.  How do we access the back part of the washer?  We have taken the control panel off, but can't figure it out.

3)  Should we really even be trying to salvage this washer that was made the same year that I was?

Anxiously awaiting your help,

CLK

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:45 PM

I would imagine you need to check the position of the drain hose?  The end has to be higher than the water level of the washer when full and there has to be an air gap between the hose and the drain or the sewer system could syphen the water out as fast as it goes into the washer.   Also be sure the drain hose is not pushed way down into the standpipe, will suck the water right out of that washer.  If this does not resolve your determined to remain empty washer, please let us know.  I suppose it could be haunted.....nah....probably not.....;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics