Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Condensing Unit / Fan not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IT_tech

IT_tech

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:06 AM

Hello,  Not doing so well here in CA. it is 105+ outside and my sisters condensing unit quit working. there has been power outages lately. and I think also in the same day.

((The Carrier Condensing Unit is not working. just makes clicking sounds. Nothing comes on. no other sounds.))

When I call for cooling, the blower unit works fine, (obviously blowing warm air) but outside I can hear clicking sounds, and the whole unit will not come on. looking at the contactor, it operates. (pulls in and stays in), and it tests out both sides of the contactor/ at 115VAC when in the out position and in position. . and the connections for thermostat show 24VAC.  it is a double pole 40 breaker fuse. ((also nothing operates when i manually push in the contactor.))

and when i check the plug at the condensing unit, it has power too.

not sure the best way to check the capacitor / and discharge it, I have heard differing ways, one was to short it out with a 10k/1w ohm resistor.

how do i check the capacitor safely? to figure if it is bad or good?

this is frustrating, i can rebuild computers, and configure them to my hearts delight, but testing this unit and figuring out what is wrong is frustrating. I have schematics and a book form the Airconditioning Institute. but it does not explain well enough to help here.

John 3:16

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

You need to have 240v going to the outside unit to operate. It sounds like you don't. Measure it across the two incoming wires. It is very unlikely that the fan motor and the compressor would fail at the same time.

When you push the relay in, the fan and compressor should come on if there is power to the unit.

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 jehiatt

jehiatt

IkkĊ-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

Sounds right - one side of your fuse or breaker is open.
J woody

#4 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:03 PM

go back into the arcives to find pregnant capacitor by me and you will get a good explanation of capicitor woes

"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics