Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
bpc4363

Fisher & Paykel GWL10

8 posts in this topic

Dear Samurai, 

I have a F&P GWL10 purchased March 2001 that stops and beeps during the 1st few minutes of a regular wash cycle (I think this is the initial wash stage for this cycle), if you power the machine off and on it will complete the cycle.  I do not experienced this issue using permanent press or other cycles. My wife called in a repair service that ran the built in diags and told my wife that module under the control panel was faulty and needed to be replaced.  After researching this model I ran the diags myself and they indicate that the diverter valve is at fault (code 51). The dirverter was replaced aprroximately 2 years ago. I contacted F & P directly and was told that the diverter valve was a warranted part for 5 years from purchase date but it can only be shipped after being requested by an authorized repair service. Not being a repairman I purchased one and plan to install it msyself.  Can anyone provide the general steps for this process.

Thank you for your assistance.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

[user=142]bpc4363[/user] wrote:

My wife called in a repair service that ran the built in diags and told my wife that module under the control panel was faulty and needed to be replaced.  After researching this model I ran the diags myself and they indicate that the diverter valve is at fault (code 51).

Two different diags results!

Faulty module - It is not easy to verify.

Faulty diverter valve - Don't trust the code alone. Use "volt", "ohm" and "the actual functioning" tests to verify. You may need circuit diagram for the tests.

Can you provide instructions or basic steps on how to install diverter valve. 

Do I have access from underneath?

[align=left]Do I need to remove the tub?[/align]

[align=left] [/align]

[align=left] [/align]

[align=left]Thanks in advance[/align]

[align=left] [/align]

[align=left]bpc4363[/align]

Located on bottom right side bottom of tub to the back no special tools neeed to replace Tip washer back three hose clamps two wires and a phillips screw watch how it comes out it has to go back in the same way put a pan to catch water 1/2 gallon or so usually comes out of hose.

Thank you all for your assistance, I replaced the diverter valve last evening in about 10 minutes and successfully ran washer using regular cycle without a hitch. 

Hi bpc4363,

My name is Greg.  My email address is grbielas@yahoo.com.  I have the same problem with my F&P GWL10 washer that you had.  I have read that you fixed the problem by yourself.  Congratulations!!  Please, give me the contact (part number) where you purchased the part, and how did you actually replaced it.

Thank you for your help.

Greg

Hi, Greg;

From reading this forum, it seems to me the most likely problems are, in order:   1) Out of Balance switch; 2) Lid Switch; 3) Rotor Sensor; 4) Diverter Valve.

Now, I'm not necessarily a lazy person, but I do take the path of least resistance.  Referring to 1-3 above, these components seem to be susceptible to corrosion - and they are probably worth checking (and cleaning up) even if they aren't the proximate cause of your problem, since this will likely prevent problems later.

For 1 above, the OOB switch, this is VERY easy to check visually - unplug the machine, take off the top control panel by removing the 2 screws on the back, remove the one screw holding the control module and lift up, and you'll see a small switch on the right back side.  On mine, there were obvious signs of corrosion.  I removed the leads, cleaned up the contacts, and then reassembled in reverse of above.  That fixed my problem.

Also, search through the forum for other F&P (disregard the model numbers for now, even though this may be against the Samurai code, but look at the content for similar problems), and you will find some more info on running the machine's built-in diagnostics, including a PDF file that helps you walk through the above items to see if they may be the problem.

SPECIAL THANKS ONCE AGAIN TO THE SAMURAI FOR THIS OUTSTANDING FORUM!  I don't drink beer (sorry, Samurai), but I bow to the beer gods nonetheless.

Hey, este', thanks for pitching in on this thread! :dude:

Don't worry about the beer, my other flavorite drink is hot, black coffee.

BTW, nice selection of avatar.