Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fisher & Paykel GWL10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bpc4363

bpc4363

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:07 AM

Dear Samurai, 

I have a F&P GWL10 purchased March 2001 that stops and beeps during the 1st few minutes of a regular wash cycle (I think this is the initial wash stage for this cycle), if you power the machine off and on it will complete the cycle.  I do not experienced this issue using permanent press or other cycles. My wife called in a repair service that ran the built in diags and told my wife that module under the control panel was faulty and needed to be replaced.  After researching this model I ran the diags myself and they indicate that the diverter valve is at fault (code 51). The dirverter was replaced aprroximately 2 years ago. I contacted F & P directly and was told that the diverter valve was a warranted part for 5 years from purchase date but it can only be shipped after being requested by an authorized repair service. Not being a repairman I purchased one and plan to install it msyself.  Can anyone provide the general steps for this process.

Thank you for your assistance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:21 AM

[user=142]bpc4363[/user] wrote:

My wife called in a repair service that ran the built in diags and told my wife that module under the control panel was faulty and needed to be replaced.  After researching this model I ran the diags myself and they indicate that the diverter valve is at fault (code 51).

Two different diags results!
Faulty module - It is not easy to verify.
Faulty diverter valve - Don't trust the code alone. Use "volt", "ohm" and "the actual functioning" tests to verify. You may need circuit diagram for the tests.

The Seven

#3 bpc4363

bpc4363

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

Can you provide instructions or basic steps on how to install diverter valve. 

Do I have access from underneath?

[align=left]Do I need to remove the tub?[/align]
[align=left] [/align]
[align=left] [/align]
[align=left]Thanks in advance[/align]
[align=left] [/align]
[align=left]bpc4363[/align]

#4 mopar X

mopar X

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:33 PM

Located on bottom right side bottom of tub to the back no special tools neeed to replace Tip washer back three hose clamps two wires and a phillips screw watch how it comes out it has to go back in the same way put a pan to catch water 1/2 gallon or so usually comes out of hose.

#5 bpc4363

bpc4363

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:31 AM

Thank you all for your assistance, I replaced the diverter valve last evening in about 10 minutes and successfully ran washer using regular cycle without a hitch. 

#6 gregB

gregB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:25 AM

Hi bpc4363,

My name is Greg.  My email address is grbielas@yahoo.com.  I have the same problem with my F&P GWL10 washer that you had.  I have read that you fixed the problem by yourself.  Congratulations!!  Please, give me the contact (part number) where you purchased the part, and how did you actually replaced it.

Thank you for your help.

Greg

#7 esteward

esteward

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:47 AM

Hi, Greg;

From reading this forum, it seems to me the most likely problems are, in order:   1) Out of Balance switch; 2) Lid Switch; 3) Rotor Sensor; 4) Diverter Valve.

Now, I'm not necessarily a lazy person, but I do take the path of least resistance.  Referring to 1-3 above, these components seem to be susceptible to corrosion - and they are probably worth checking (and cleaning up) even if they aren't the proximate cause of your problem, since this will likely prevent problems later.

For 1 above, the OOB switch, this is VERY easy to check visually - unplug the machine, take off the top control panel by removing the 2 screws on the back, remove the one screw holding the control module and lift up, and you'll see a small switch on the right back side.  On mine, there were obvious signs of corrosion.  I removed the leads, cleaned up the contacts, and then reassembled in reverse of above.  That fixed my problem.

Also, search through the forum for other F&P (disregard the model numbers for now, even though this may be against the Samurai code, but look at the content for similar problems), and you will find some more info on running the machine's built-in diagnostics, including a PDF file that helps you walk through the above items to see if they may be the problem.

SPECIAL THANKS ONCE AGAIN TO THE SAMURAI FOR THIS OUTSTANDING FORUM!  I don't drink beer (sorry, Samurai), but I bow to the beer gods nonetheless.

Este'
Indebted Servant to the Samurai

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,034 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:04 AM

Hey, este', thanks for pitching in on this thread! :dude:

Don't worry about the beer, my other flavorite drink is hot, black coffee.

BTW, nice selection of avatar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics