Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Guest Voyager

Kenmore side by side

6 posts in this topic

I recently bought a used Kenmore side by side which I know worked well at the time.

I transported it with it laying on it's side... I know I know... Now I know.

Of course it is not cooling properly. The fridge stays warm and the freezer is like a refrigerator. What can I do to repair the damage I've done?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

after having it laid on its side,how long did you leave it upright before you plugged the juice to it??

Took 2 hours to transport, left it upright overnight before plugging it in.

Sounds like it is in a partial restriction, oil is in the strainer, cap tube and possibly the evaperator.  If so this will be something that will have to be replaired who is certified to do this type of repair because of the freon issue and will be very expensive.  Make sure the fan is running in the freezer and if it has a condenser fan motor make sure it is running also.

[user=637]kdog[/user] wrote:

after having it laid on its side,how long did you leave it upright before you plugged the juice to it??
I have also made this mistake, but my fridge won't cool at all now.  The compressor runs and eventually gets really hot, but no cooling action.  Is it shot?

You could try this, before spending money for a system job.  Unplug the ref, and let it set for 45 minutes.  Plug it back in for 10 minutes. Then start the unplug and replug several times.  This assumes all the fans and compressor must be running right.  If you have some oil in the lines, it may go on through the system.  It sounds like you are getting some cooling, so there is some hope.  It may also have been damaged somehow in the move.  If you have to move another one on its side,  make sure when you lay it down, the smaller compressor tube that goes to the conderser is in the up position.

If you have a total restriction, and you unplug and then try to replug, the compressor will not start, but rather will start clicking on the overload relay, which is not a good thing.

H.