Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Carrier 38YCA condenser motor problems

Monkaree

We have an 11 year old 38YCA048300 Carrier heat pump that quit working in May of this year. The service man replaced the condenser motor and we were problem free (ok, except for an ant nest ruining a contactor) until yesterday when the unit suddenly stopped cooling. We turned the unit off and called the original service man but he was unavailable so we called someone else that he recommended. After turning the unit back on and it started cooling properly, the new service man suspected that the motor overheated and shut off. After cooling down it started right back up and worked properly when we started the A/C.

He declared that he thought the new motor was the correct HP (1/4) but possibly too high RPM...new motor is 1075 and he thought the unit might need a 825 but couldn't tell us because we no longer have the original motor. He said that the vibration and noise from the outside unit sounded like the motor was too fast for the fan blades...I thought it sounded noisier after the original motor was replaced but I don't know anything about heat pumps so I shrugged it off. He said that the blade is true so he doesn't think that's the problem. He also said that the unit stopped vibrating/rattling when he cleaned the coils...he seemed to think this was significant. This seemed to be an issue with the repair man who replaced the motor so he left us with the task of finding out what the correct RPM for our unit.

After finding the specs for our unit online (we didn't get them when we bought the house) and found that the new motor is the correct RPM 1070/1100 so we're left with wondering why the unit quit working and why it has the vibration problem. Does anyone know why the unit stopped cooling suddenly?

Thank you from Louisiana!

Chrissy

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did you say that the 2nd guy out cleaned the coils? If so why didnt the 1st guy do it?

My husband had already cleaned them prior to the motor repair. Let me clarify in saying that the unit resumed rattling and vibrating once he had cleaned the coils.

I recomend a new blade, chances are that some damage was done to it while it was being removed from the old motor

Archived