Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Eviction Notice

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Team Samurai

Konichiwa to all seekers of appliance wisdom. I hope we've helped you get your appliance fixed. If you're a MySQL database wizard, the Samurai could use your help.

I got an eviction notice from my current webhost. The Abuse Coordinator contacted me complaining that the forum is using too much server resources. I'm "allowed" 30 GB of bandwidth per month and I only use half that each month but, apparently, if you have a busy site, like this one, they just don't like that-- they like sites that get one or two visitors a day so they can load up the server with 300 other hosted websites and make more $$. So they told me to shove off. I have less than a month to move. All this while I'm trying to rebuild my crashed computer... and run service calls to make a living.

Ok, nothing gets done by whining about it. Just wanted to let y'all know wazzup and enlist your help.

Moving this forum's database and importing it to a new server is a pretty complicated task, way beyond my humble compooting skills. If you're a MySQL database wizard and know how to do these types of migrations, please let me know. You can either post here or send me a PM.

Domo.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Pegi

• dag

• Team Samurai

Problem solved! I figgered out how to import a database via SSH. Sound complicated and arcane? It did for me, too-- I knew nothing about that stuff and still know next to nothing. But I seem to be happily on the way to getting this forum transferred, complete and intact, to another webhost server. So, emergency is over, stand down, go back to what you were doing. Smoking lamp is lit. :tokin:

I see you've got the info you need, but if you run into any snags with the move, send me an email.  Your site has been really great for me and I'd be glad to help out if you need a hand.

• Team Samurai

Domo, Dag; I appreciate your offer and, well, ol' Samurai just might take you up on that! Things *seem* to be running... for now. I've had to delve into more server minutia during this migration than I ever hoped I'd have to know :knifehead: but it seems to have come through ok. Still looking for bugs that might have popped up in the migration-- lot's of opportunities for large database files to get corrupted.

Do you have any experience with dedicated server web hosting on an Apache/Linux server?