Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Mismatch between condenser and evaporator

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ThePadre

ThePadre

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

I've got a newish house (built in 2005). I had a home inspection done as I approach the end of my bumper-to-bumper warranty. One question the inspector raised, in light of my general dissatisfaction with the a/c system in my house, is the mismatch between condenser and evaporator. The condenser is rated 3.5 tons, evaporator at 5 tons. Both are made by Goodman Manufacturing.

In researching all of this, I've found precious little in the way of hard data on what such a mismatch really implies for the system. I'm currently pressing the a/c contractor (by way of the builder) to show me that Goodman supports and recommends this configuration. In the meantime, I'd like to learn from the great minds here what the real implications of this setup are.

Any insight is appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

Yes, I've seen a similar combination before. It was a 13 SEER 3.5 ton condensing unit and the inside coil was a 5-ton 10 SEER unit. Ends up that is what Goodman spec'd for this condenser, didn't even need to change the piston in the coil.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 jdob28

jdob28

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:25 AM

I have a Ultra High Efficiency Tempstar system and they match a 2.5 ton condensor with a 3.5 ton evaporator.  I guess it raises the SEER rating.  Mine is a seer 14 system.

#4 Rrey199

Rrey199

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:46 AM

:dude: Your mismatch is bad news.

Sometimes the air handler is upsized by 1/2 ton to boost airflow in a system with alot of duct transitions, etc. Your system is limited to the condenser capacity. In other words the evaporator can try to remove 5 tons, but the condenser can only unload 3.5 tons. The rest results in higher pressures and a warmer evaporator coil.

If you can get the builder to straighten it out, you should have him do so.

"ADD means never being bored"
"The answer is that.......wait...what was the question again?"

#5 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

what type of freon is the unit using?
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics