Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

AC Advive please

jrobby

This web-site is the best I've found.  I think my question might be similar to a few other posts I read, but I want to clarify.  About a month ago, my AC started making a high-pitch squealing noise in the middle of the night.  It kept working, but was very loud and abnoxious.  I turned the thermostat up to turn it off.  Every time I would turn it back down, it made the noise.  I left for vacation the following day and it has been fine since I got back.  Last week, when I got home from work, I could hear it as soon as I got out of my car in all the way from the front of the house.  The noise stopped again.  Tonight, the outside unit was on, but the fan stopped blowing.  I shut it off for a bit, then tried again.  The fan looked like it was trying to move, and when prodded with a screw driver, started up again. (the blade did not spin freely / easily when I used the screw driver, but did move without to much effort)   Can you tell me what is going on?  Is it my fan motor?  Is it freezing up?  I live in Florida by-the-way.

It's been  running again for about an hour now.  Is it something I can fix, or do I need to call in for repair.  Sorry for so much detail, but wanted to explain fully.

Any advice / help would be appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:dude: Hello all. I just found this forum & decided to join. I am a senior HVAC technician for a large plumbing, heating and AC company. I enjoy the forum and figured I have something to offer. 

I sounds like your condenser fan motor is bad. It may have been caused by a bad run capacitor. General replacement motors go for around 70 bucks, but spend the extra $5 for the capacitor. It's probably a 1/3 or 1/4 horsepower 230 volt motor. If you decide to attack the job I can help you through it.

the high pitch squeal you heard was the condenser fan motor its an easy fix

welcome to the forum ray:dude:

Thanx Rrey199,

It's been on all day, but I know it's only a matter of time.  I'm going to look into getting the parts, and would really like to switch it myself.  Doesn't "sound" incredibly hard, but I'm a novice.  I would appreciate your advice / guidance, if I go forward.

And welcome to the forum also.

Also,  thanx  Applianceman,

your and ahammer's previous advice to others is what decided it, for me to join.

Archived