Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

refer/freezer cold but not cold enough

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dahnn

dahnn

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:40 PM

Hi,

It has been a week since I replaced the defrost timer and thawed the ice from the evaporator coil.  Both the refrigerator and freezer are now working marginally.  The temperature in the frig is bouncing between 40 and 45, and the freezer between 10 and 20 and even dipped to about 8 degrees F.  During the past week the icemaker has made two rows of cubes, but evidently is not staying cold enough for ice making.  In addition to replacing the defrost timer I have checked the condenser fan, the evaporator fan, the door seals, food loading (now almost empty), cleaned the condenser coils, vacuumed the condenser coil again, the temperature control, and drain tube.

My evaporator coil is two rows of coiled tube hanging horizontally at the back of the freezer.  It was frosted up on the first 3/4th of the bottom coil with no build up on the remainder of the coils – is that a normal or expected frost/ice pattern, or should it be more evenly distributed?  The temperature near the bottom inlet is below 0 degrees F and goes up moving away from that end.  Should there be such a disparity in the temperature and frost on the coil??

The temperature control has tested OK – continuity/ low resistance when on and not when it is off.  But the resistance value (0.6 ohms) along the scale does not seem to change - is this normal?  I believe that over time we have had to keep turning the temperature control down, so from that perspective it is a little suspect.

Given the acceptable tests of the components, and lack of great cooling, is there anything else I can check to confirm that the sealed system is functioning correctly and charged properly?

Thanks,

Dave

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,605 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:51 PM

When you checked the evporator, did it look something like this:

Posted Image

If so, either the sealed system has leaked or the compressor is shot.

#3 dahnn

dahnn

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:36 AM

Samurai Appliance Repair Man,
The configuration of the coils is different (larger tube, in a spiral, looks more like a spring) and the frost/ice is at the bottom right and on a larger portion of the coil, but the overall appearance is much the same.  How can I confirm the system charge?  Is there a port to hook up gauges?  I have not seen one, but I also have never had these symptoms.  Is there some test(s) I can perform to directly check the compressor?

I appreciate your insight since, based on the other tests I have performed, I suspect the sealed system/compressor.

Thanks again,
Dave

#4 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:38 AM

Older GE, right? I recognise your description of the spring-like evaporator.

Domestic refrigerators do not come with access ports from the factory, they have to be fitted if service is required. You have a sealed system issue, may need a compressor. Sad to say, repair is generally not economic.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,605 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:54 AM

Ditto what the Mad One says.

#6 dahnn

dahnn

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:58 AM

Mad Mac,

Thanks for the confirmation – even though it was not the answer I really wanted.  I appreciate your help.
Dave

#7 dahnn

dahnn

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:01 AM

Samurai Appliance Repair Man,

I appreciate your help.  Now the only problem is finding a good replacement that has the same features and fits where the old one went.

Thanks again,
Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics