Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Asko dryer repair -- When to give up?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rockingkb

rockingkb

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:56 AM

Horror of horrors to read the bad words bespoke of Askos.  We have a full complement of them: dishwasher, washer, dryer.  All are vintage 1998. 

The Dryer compels me to write today.  The motor is shot.  (As well as a felt band and some little clips that attach it).  The motor is the big ticket item though.  To get all those parts sent to us would probably run $350 or more.  Especially after reading the disparaging comments on Askos, it makes wonder if the best course wouldn't be to just go out and get a new dryer.

One complicating factor if I choose to go out and get a new dryer -- The only way to plug the washer in is by going through the dryer.  We'd need to have additional electrical work done to plug it directly into the wall.  (I'm assuming here, but I could be wrong, that if we did go out and get a new dryer, we wouldn't be able to route the washer through it.)

So what say you: Repair or replace?

I kneel before you and await your wisdom and guidance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:00 AM

I would replace it with a nice Whirlpool dryer.  The money you save can get the circuit run for the washer.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:36 AM

Pegi speaks much wisdom.  Heed her.

#4 rockingkb

rockingkb

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:41 PM

Oh wise ones,

You have given me much-needed advice.  Do your recommendations hold true for the Whirpool Gold series?  The specs look good for the Resource saver, super capacity machine with optional TV/VCR and microwave oven.  (Model # GEW9878PW)  Yet, unnamed grasshoppers at epinions have wove tales of melted clothing and dread.  Are their experiences typical?  I wish not to walk that path.

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

Hmmmmm, the TV looks like a good option but not the MW.  This dryer has a control board and relays and stuff that will cause you to come here lots in the future to have us tell you what is wrong because it keeps shutting off or other strange things. Best thing about this dryer is it has the lint filter on the top.  How about a nice simple dryer without the control boad nightmare???
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics