Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

lazyboy

GE Washer

3 posts in this topic

Our washer is leaking from the over flow tube. I pulled the washer out so i could see when it would leak and it starts dripping water when it fills up. Dried the floor around the washer while it went threw the wash cycle no leaks, Spin cycle no leaks, fill up for rinse cycle and leaks during fill up. It don't matter what size load you use it leaks when filling up. So how can I fix this problem?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

This sounds like 2 different problems.  The water will run out of the overflow tube if the washer is not draining fast enough since these older washers drain and spin at the same time.  Check the belt to see if it is slipping, or could be something in the water pump or the hoses.  The dripping while filling is something you wll have to just see where exactly it is coming from..take a look, remove the back cardboard panel and see where this drip is located.

Older steel tub GE. You may have a leak high on the tub where water is splashing out during fill, also possibly a leak near the "vacuum break" in the water inlet. Best advice is to pop the top up (two clips at the front, release with a putty knife) and observe the fill. The steel tub is bad for leaks and corrosion, the inner basket rubs on it during off balance conditions and destroys the enamel. These tubs have not been manufactured for a good number of years, you may be able to delay the inevitable by patching any leaks with a silicone and duct tape "sandwich" or some kind of epoxy.