Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

blivet

Kenmore Dryer Debris?

4 posts in this topic

First, I want to thank the Samurai. My wife told me today the dryer was broke (and so were we :). I had to fix it. I stressed about it, looked at the dryer a lot (careful not to actually touch it), then use the excuse of hunting information on the internet to get away from the thing.

Well, I found this site and in 10 minutes had the "top popped", the drum out, and a broken belt in my had grinning like a possum eatin briars at my wife as if I knew what I was doing. heh

My question is, when I removed the drum with my expert hands :) I noticed a lot of black, greasy lint right under the pulley where the idler pulley was (in the center). The idler pulley had fallen off, but my wife said it was "making a racket" just before it quit.

When I spin the motor, it is not quiet. It turns easily and it is not a loud grind, but rather a slight hiss when it turns. I

I have ordered a new belt and idler pulley, but I would appreciate any guesses on the source of this black lint? It did not smell burned, and it was spread consistent with the spinning of the main shaft at the pulley.

Thanks all in advance.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

That black gristle is belt shavings-- it's why your belt broke.  If the motor was running ok before the belt broke, there's no reason to think it's somehow involved in the belt breaking.  A possible accomplice for this would be the idler pulley.  Depending on brand and model number, you may want to replace the drum rollers, too. 

I can say enough about how much I appreciate your help and your website. Very, very impressive.

;)