Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dryer Debris?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blivet

blivet

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

First, I want to thank the Samurai. My wife told me today the dryer was broke (and so were we :). I had to fix it. I stressed about it, looked at the dryer a lot (careful not to actually touch it), then use the excuse of hunting information on the internet to get away from the thing.

Well, I found this site and in 10 minutes had the "top popped", the drum out, and a broken belt in my had grinning like a possum eatin briars at my wife as if I knew what I was doing. heh

My question is, when I removed the drum with my expert hands :) I noticed a lot of black, greasy lint right under the pulley where the idler pulley was (in the center). The idler pulley had fallen off, but my wife said it was "making a racket" just before it quit.

When I spin the motor, it is not quiet. It turns easily and it is not a loud grind, but rather a slight hiss when it turns. I

I have ordered a new belt and idler pulley, but I would appreciate any guesses on the source of this black lint? It did not smell burned, and it was spread consistent with the spinning of the main shaft at the pulley.

Thanks all in advance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:49 PM

That black gristle is belt shavings-- it's why your belt broke.  If the motor was running ok before the belt broke, there's no reason to think it's somehow involved in the belt breaking.  A possible accomplice for this would be the idler pulley.  Depending on brand and model number, you may want to replace the drum rollers, too. 

#3 blivet

blivet

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:54 PM

I can say enough about how much I appreciate your help and your website. Very, very impressive.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:49 PM

;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics