Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
rockingkb

Dryer lint traps -- why is it better on top?

6 posts in this topic

Oh noble sensei,

I read in your teachings a preference for top loading lint traps, versus ones accessed through the door.  But why?  The all-knowing mistress of style, she doesn't like the look of the top loading trap.  To get such a contraption into our home, I must walk across rice paper with scalding cauldron and have good reason to offer her.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Quite simply, much more efficient and less of a fire risk. I'm serious. Let's ask the people here...how many lint fires have you seen on models with top screens as opposed to the DOT models?

I agree with Mad Mac. The filter on the top is much safer. Ask the wife if style is worth a house fire. Beat her down with logic, they hate that. ;)

Nick

ask her how she will enjoy having lint drag out of the doorway mounted screen into her freshly laundered clothes while unloading the dryer-some things are just better when kept seperated thus god's invention of the cuzzif.

Because the ones down by the door let too much lint pass the filter,  clog up your dryer...poooooofffffff  :burning:         They cause such a mess.. Also the dryers are a lot harder to dis-assemble and there you go with paying the tech more time to work on them.  Hell with looks, get what works, Friend......:cool:

My preference for the top filter dryer vs the one with the filter in the door pertains specifically to the Whirlpool-built variations of these dryers.  The reason for the preference is because the top-filter model is simply a more robust machine.  It's a proven design with more than 30 years of reliable service under its belt.  Seen lots of dinky mechanical failures on the front -filter dryer.

These comments do not apply to front filter dryers for other brands.  For example, despite it's abysmal record with the Neptune, Performa, and Atlantis washers, the Maytag dryer, a front-filter design, is still one of the best.