Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore dryer shuts off after 5 minutes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jaybob

jaybob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:13 AM

O wise one, your wisdom is greatly needed by one less enlightened!

The family dryer (Kenmore, 110.67732791) runs for about 5 minutes and then shuts off. It can be restarted by just pushing the start button and will go for about 5 more minutes and quit. It seems like this can be repeated as many times as I have patience for. The dryer heats up normally and blows through the vent well.

After reading some other threads here, it sounds like a bad motor. If so, is that hard to replace? I'm somewhat handy, but don't have many specialty-type tools.

Thanks for your help, sensei!

jaybob

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:15 AM

Fairly straightforward Whirlpool-built electric dryer. When it stops, can it be immediately re-started? Any noises/smells?
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 jaybob

jaybob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:24 AM

Yep, it can be restarted immediately. Haven't noticed any noises or smells.

Is there any way I can be sure it is the motor before I buy a replacement?

Hey I've been in Motherwell (15 years ago). Nice people. A bit rough?

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:07 PM

does this unit have an even heat board/motor relay in the console??
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:38 PM

[user=1082]jaybob[/user] wrote:

Hey I've been in Motherwell (15 years ago). Nice people. A bit rough?

That's putting it mildly:ninja::gulp::pint::cheers:

Kdog, no Even Heat on this one. Is there a wiring diagram (possibly inside the control panel) that you can scan and post?

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:42 PM

if there is no relay up top,check to see if the plastic disonnect has worked loose from the motor and is breaking contact at times.ensure it is pushed in until the locking tabs snap into place
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:58 PM

No relay in this one. Possibly an issue with the motor start switch. One thing you can try is some compressed air to blow out around the motor (one of those cans for cleaning computer keyboards).

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:14 PM

seems odd if the motor starts up again without some cool down time though.

#9 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

True, but I'm thinking of something simple and cheap that can be tried.

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

It is possible something is wrong with the amps or volts to your dryer from the breaker box, causing the motor to cut out after the motor gets hot enough to cut out??
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#11 jaybob

jaybob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:31 AM

A couple of follow-ups:

I couldn't find a wiring diagram in my owner's manual.  They have a parts break-out, so I can look for stuff there.

I'm going to work on it again this afternoon, so I'll look for a wiring diagram on the cabinet then and follow up.  I'll blow out the dust and stuff, too.

The dryer is on a dedicated 220 circuit, but other than putting a voltmeter on it, I don't have any other way to verify the power supply quality.

Thanks again for the help, o wise ones!

Jay

(OK, so I was understating my memories of Motherwell-just trying to be polite-and the Glasgow region in general.  I once had my bike stolen while I was about 20 feet away.  When I caught the thug, he spit a nasty loogie in my face, but I got the bike back! And then there was the time some drunk teenagers threw a wine bottle at my buddy and split his forehead open...:shock: But really most of the people there were great when you got to know them.)

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:51 AM

perhaps you shouldn't have been wearing those liverpool soccer jerseys!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics