Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

O'keefe & Merritt proper procedures of conversion to propane

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nocornbreadinalabama

nocornbreadinalabama

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:25 PM

I bought an 1954 O'keefe & Merritt 905 (6 burner & double oven) Posted Image...my dream stove!! The problem is that yesterday the gas company came out and put the regulator on to switch to propane and adjusted the air shutters for the burners and the oven pilot lights. We got the left oven on and it went off and haven't been able to turn it on since. Well, the right oven was working great all afternoon and I even checked to see if the temp was correct and it was off 1 whole degree. That evening when I turned the oven on to cook supper it wouldnt come on and hasnt since Posted Image  The pilot light is on and is blue with just a small orange tip. When I turned the oven on the pilots stays the same. I am wondering if something else should be adjusted Posted Image . We have had soooo many conflicting stories from the "EXPERTS in California" I am totally confused!! PLEASE HELP!! Stuck in the south without cornbread.... Posted Image  Have beer and will share;)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 01:51 AM

It sounds like the gas safety valves have tripped off.

Look under the cooktop area and look for a valve with a little red button on top. There should be two of them, one for each oven. Press each button down and try to turn the ovens on again.

The pilot flames may be turned down to small and not keeping the thermal couple heated enough to hold the valve magnets or the thermal couples are going bad or the safety valves could be going bad.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 nocornbreadinalabama

nocornbreadinalabama

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:31 AM

We have tried pushing them in...they look fairly new.  Still no oven :(.  The weird thing is that both ovens wont turn on.  How tall of a flame should the pilot light be?  I know the oven on the right is the timer oven and the timer works great, but no oven.  Someone us told of the orfices needed to be changed.  While other people has said that is hogwash.  The previous owner in California said that both worked fine and that they used the one on the left more.  Do you think something got jarred from the long ride here?  Maybe it is rebelling against southern food:shock:  Thanks...

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:04 AM

You shouldn't need to replace orifaces on these older model ranges. The orifaces are adjustable to change from natural to L.P. gas.

It really sounds strange that both oven went out at same time, they both should have there own thermal couple and safety valve. Some of these older ranges didn't use a standard thermal couple they use what is called a mini-pilot which the pilot burner and thermal couple are all one unit and they are very expensive to replace, (like in excess of $100 each).

Pilot flame should be large enough to heat thermal couple well, as little yellow as possible but large enough to engulf thermal couple.

Is there a possiblity that someone has messed with the oven timer clock on the one oven that can be set to timed bake? If it's not set to manual bake it will not work unless the timer is set correctly for timed bake.

To check if the thermal couples are producing enough electricity to hold the safety valves open you would need to use a test meter that has millivolt (MV) readings and see how many MV the thermal couples are producing and also check the safety valve magnet heads for continuity. I believe the MV (Millivolt) reading that you should get from these units are somewhere between 20-30 millivolts.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics