Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Gas Oven - Lights but Ignition won't stop sparking!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShirleyGibson

ShirleyGibson

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:57 AM

Hi,

I have just moved into my first home and inherited a Canon Camberly gas oven.  It's a 1997 model.  I don't know if you have these, I'm in the United kingdom

It has a double oven and the problem is with the main oven.  The oven has a fascility where when you turn the oven on, it automatically sparks the ignitor until the oven is lit. 

The problem is that the oven lights, but the ignition doesn't stop sparking (it sparks on the top four plates).  Why is it doing this and how can I fix it?

Many thanks.

Shirley.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,045 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:02 AM

We don't have this brand but the principle it employs is in common use.  The problem is either in a stuck switch (the oven switch or one of the surface burner switches) or a bad spark module.  You should read this reference to gain some good background  and insight on why I'm saying this.  The article talks about the stove burners, but the principle is exactly the same for your oven.  Both the stove top and the oven all use the same spark module. 

When you're ready to make some basic continuity checks on your switches, this page will help you with that. 

Post any followup questions you may have in this thread.

#3 ShirleyGibson

ShirleyGibson

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:06 AM

Thank you!  :cool:  I'll get my husband to have a look at this during the weekend.

Shirley.

#4 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

it probably has a reignition module so make sure the ignitor in the oven has a good connection, especially the ground.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#5 ShirleyGibson

ShirleyGibson

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:18 AM

Thank you everyone for your help with this problem.  It turned out to be even more straightforward a problem than you all thought!  :D

There was simply a lot of dirt in one of the igniters which was stopping the message from being sent to the other igniters.  Once that was cleaned out it now works fine!

Thank you for helping save £450 by not going to buy a new oven!!!:cool:

Shirley.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,045 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for letting us know what it turned out to be! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics