GE Microwave Fuse Blowing Intermittently
Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:28 AM
It is important to my story to know that the microwave is mounted over a stove, with a dedicated 15 amp circuit, as directed by the instructions. About two weeks after I bought the microwave, I placed a plastic cup of milk inside, shut the door, set the timer for 45 seconds and pressed start. The light and fan came on, but when the magnetron kicked in everything went dark inside. I checked the circuit breaker and it was tripped. I reset it, but the microwave was still dark. Being the curious student, I opened up the front fan cover and discovered the main fuse ( a 20 amp quick blow type). I checked it with an ohm meter and it was blown. A quick trip to radio shack for a replacement, and the microwave powered back up and all was well for many days.
Two weeks later, while performing the exact same exercise with milk (in a different cup), again the microwave went dark just as the magnetron kicked on. This time resetting the circuit breaker fixed the problem. However, for the remainder of that evening, every time I started the microwave, the circuit breaker tripped. Being the resourceful student, I decided that perhaps the circuit breaker was weak, so I plugged the microwave into a 20 amp circuit in the kitchen using an extension cord. This caused the 20 amp fuse in the microwave to blow when cycled on. I decided that the next day I would call GE for a repair man (however I went ahead and put in a new fuse)
The next day at sunrise, the microwave worked fine. A couple of nights later, this whole scene was repeated again, like a bad Elvis movie. Again I waited until morning, and the microwave has worked fine for about two days now (so naturally I did not call a repairman). However, I know it is only a matter of time before the GE gremlins return to vex me. I have two questions master, how do I troubleshoot this problem and how do I convince the repairman who ultimately comes to the house that something is wrong with the microwave when in fact it will probably work fine when he tests it? Thank you for your wisdom and time.
Posted 04 June 2005 - 06:47 AM
DIYers: Save time and money by learning the secrets of appliance repair... Click Here!
Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:39 PM
I wanted to post back the fix for my issue. I finally called out the repairman after the problem became consistent. He took the front off of the microwave and quickly identified that the bottom door latch safety switch actuator was bent. He said this was causing the fuse to blow. This is evidently a safety feature of the unit. If the unit thinks that the door is not latching properly, it will blow the main fuse so that the microwave cannot be used. This makes good sense from a product liability standpoint.
Anyway, the repairman bent the actuator back into its proper position, and the microwave has been functioning flawlessly for the last three weeks. I consider it fixed. I am also more careful now not to slam the door so hard, as I think this is what originally bent the actuator. I hope this helps someone in the future.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users