Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Microwave Fuse Blowing Intermittently

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vectiva

vectiva

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:28 AM

Oh great master, please help me once again to vanquish the enemy in my GE microwave.  I installed it new about two months ago to replace another failed GE.  This one is a carousel model JVM1440WH01.

It is important to my story to know that the microwave is mounted over a stove, with a dedicated 15 amp circuit, as directed by the instructions.  About two weeks after I bought the microwave, I placed a plastic cup of milk inside, shut the door, set the timer for 45 seconds and pressed start.  The light and fan came on, but when the magnetron kicked in everything went dark inside.  I checked the circuit breaker and it was tripped.  I reset it, but the microwave was still dark.  Being the curious student, I opened up the front fan cover and discovered the main fuse ( a 20 amp quick blow type).  I checked it with an ohm meter and it was blown.  A quick trip to radio shack for a replacement, and the microwave powered back up and all was well for many days.

Two weeks later, while performing the exact same exercise with milk (in a different cup), again the microwave went dark just as the magnetron kicked on.  This time resetting the circuit breaker fixed the problem.  However, for the remainder of that evening, every time I started the microwave, the circuit breaker tripped.  Being the resourceful student, I decided that perhaps the circuit breaker was weak, so I plugged the microwave into a 20 amp circuit in the kitchen using an extension cord.  This caused the 20 amp fuse in the microwave to blow when cycled on.  I decided that the next day I would call GE for a repair man (however I went ahead and put in a new fuse)

The next day at sunrise, the microwave worked fine.  A couple of nights later, this whole scene was repeated again, like a bad Elvis movie.  Again I waited until morning, and the microwave has worked fine for about two days now (so naturally I did not call a repairman).  However, I know it is only a matter of time before the GE gremlins return to vex me.  I have two questions master, how do I troubleshoot this problem and how do I convince the repairman who ultimately comes to the house that something is wrong with the microwave when in fact it will probably work fine when he tests it?  Thank you for your wisdom and time.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 June 2005 - 06:47 AM

Re-install the original fuse that came in the m/w back into the m/w and call for warranty.  Seems I have read something about this in the tech forums and they will probably replace the unit.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 vectiva

vectiva

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

Master and Students,

I wanted to post back the fix for my issue.  I finally called out the repairman after the problem became consistent.  He took the front off of the microwave and quickly identified that the bottom door latch safety switch actuator was bent.  He said this was causing the fuse to blow.  This is evidently a safety feature of the unit.  If the unit thinks that the door is not latching properly, it will blow the main fuse so that the microwave cannot be used.  This makes good sense from a product liability standpoint.

Anyway, the repairman bent the actuator back into its proper position, and the microwave has been functioning flawlessly for the last three weeks.  I consider it fixed.  I am also more careful now not to slam the door so hard, as I think this is what originally bent the actuator.  I hope this helps someone in the future.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the update!!!   :cool:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics