Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dishonorable roper washer not cold filling

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fivesmiths-son

fivesmiths-son

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:53 AM

Hai!!

Oh wise masters I seek your knowledge as I may lose face:( with beloved wife who believes I can fix all.  Our 8 year old Roper washer model RAB5232EW1 is having a bit of difficulty.  When the washer is set to fill on cold or warm it makes a buddha awful hummish-squeal, however when set to hot fill the noise disappears.  After much meditation and introspection I have been able to discern that if set to fill cold only the noise is greatly increased AND clothes cleaning water does not flow into the washer, but rather drips.  As I think about the noise it sounds much like the whine produced by forcing too much of something though to small of an opening.  I seek your advice as to troubleshooting and even a fix.  I know with your wise input I may be able to grasp the stone from your hand and save face.

Thanks for your help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

You need to replace the fill valve, it has gone bad on the cold side..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:46 AM

I hope no one minds me sticking my 2 cents in here for the first time with some additional thoughts on the few things that I do know a bit about :-)(spelling not being one of them)
There are screens in the ends of many of the fill hoses to trap debris. There is also a screen at the fill valve where the hose screws onto. Many times, especially with well water, those screens will be clogged causing the same sceniro. Take a peek at them and clean or replace if necessary.

Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#4 fivesmiths-son

fivesmiths-son

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:07 AM

Thank you both for your input, 20 dollars and 20 minutes later I've got a quiet working washer again.  I may have hung myself casue now my wife thinks I can fix anything.  It was the fill valve by the way and the screens on the old vavle were quite gunked up.  Thnks so much

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:21 PM

[user=950]GLC[/user] wrote:

There are screens in the ends of many of the fill hoses to trap debris. There is also a screen at the fill valve where the hose screws onto. Many times, especially with well water, those screens will be clogged causing the same sceniro. Take a peek at them and clean or replace if necessary.

I hope you're not referring to the "cute plumber's trick."

#6 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:28 PM

Never been a plumber so I am not familiar with that trick or terminology. What do you mean? Did I offer up any thing wrong as I am new here and DO NOT want to offend anyone.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:25 PM

No nothing wrong, you were perfectly correct...Do not believe it was directed at your post.  We have always found it to be the flow washer inside of the valve swollen up tho, even if the screens are clogged, the valve will probably need to be replaced pretty soon, so do not delay and go ahead and get-her done.....  ;)  Glad we made you the hero 'fivesmiths son' with the easy cheap repair.  Bet you will have a real good night and lots more repairs lurking in the future.....:cool:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:29 PM

[user=950]GLC[/user] wrote:

Never been a plumber so I am not familiar with that trick or terminology. What do you mean?

People are having trouble seeing links in posts and clicking them.  Ok.  Here's the article I linked to in my previous reply:

Slow-or-no-water-into-the-washer and flooding washer complaints just gotsta be in the top five most frequent appliance complaints I get. Thang about it is that it's just so gawd-awful simple to fix that I'm reluctant to give away the secret to this great cash cow. Yeah, I know, I shouldn't reveal this treasured trade secret that all appliance repair techs swear an oath to defend. What? You say you want me to tell you anydamnway? Well alright then.

Most of the time, your water flow complaints will be about either the cold or the hot water being restricted to near nothing. Sometimes, both the hot and cold water flow are restricted and the water just trickles in no matter where you got the temp control set at. Either way, 90% of the time, the problem is because of sediment built up on the inlet screen of the washer inlet valve.

Posted ImageHere's a typical two-solenoid inlet valve. This is the most common, although some Whirlpool's use a three solenoid arrangement, but the diagnosis and correction are the same. Most of the time, what happens is that sediment builds up on the inlet screen of the solenoid valve and restricts the water flow into the valve.

Now, here's where you can benefit from my lifetime experience as a certified technical guru. There's something I call the "cute plumber's trick" where the unsuspecting appliance owner calls in one o' them real hairy, stinky plumbers to fix their washer. Well, Buttcrack Bubba correctly takes a look at the inlet valve and figgers he's being reeeel cute by just removing the inlet screen altogether. Most of the time, Buttcrack Bubba does this 'cause he ain't even got a washer valve on his truck so it's the difference between making something off the job 'cause he "fixed" it, or making next to nothing 'cause he didn't have the part and he'd have to come back to do the repair. Buttcrack Bubba's in, what we in the trade call, "the horns of an enema." Yessir, so he goes ahead and removes that screen. The customer don't know any better; heck, all he knows is that water's flowing to his washer again. It's a freakin' miracle!

[align=right]What happens next, though, is a sad tale to tell. Y'see, after a while, the innards of the valve get so gunked up with sediment that the valve can no longer stop the flow of water when it's supposed to (like, when there's no power on it). You can see here that they's a whole buncha delicate leetle bitty parts in there, da, comrade? Little, itty-bitty pieces of dirt and pipe scale can stick that plunger guide wide-ace open. So, water just keeps on flowing into the washer. Meanwhile, you're outside playing with the dog, or changing a poopy diaper, or...whatever. Point is, the washer floods on you and makes one helluva mess in your house. All cause o' that "cute plumber's trick." Now, how smart was that to call in a plumber to do an appliance tech's job?[/align]
Other times, problems with no water can be the pressure switch or a burned-out solenoid in the water valve. If there ain't much sediment on the inlet screen of the water valve, you gotsta measure the continuity of the solenoid coil at the terminals. If your meter says there's no ohms in the solenoid coil, that sucker is slap-open and it's gotta be replaced. That's the name o' that tune, Hoss.

If solenoid continuity is OK, then you may need to measure the voltage at solenoid coil. This is a live test, meaning the circuit will have 120v on it, so you can get your hind quarters shocked off if'n you ain't careful, Slick. If you ain't getting 120v to the valve during the fill portion of the cycle, then you need to check the pressure switch, or fill switch.

Well alright then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics