Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

5 year old Hotpoint washer won't spin

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jakobcade

jakobcade

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:27 AM

Help!!  My 5 year old Hotpoint Washer ( OK..I know that's my first mistake ) will spin one day and the next day it won't. I got it to spin once by lifting the lid and manually depressed the button that engages when the lid closes and turned the drum at the same time. Worked fine for that load. Now today, that won't work so I just took the front off and stared at it. I guess my glaring stare must have done something because now it spins just fine and I can see the water being sucked out of all the clothes. It does seem to shake more than I think it should but then I don't know what it is suppose to look like in the spin cycle. Sometimes it does seem to be really LOUD when in the spin cycle. I know it is going to quit spinning again so can anyone give me a heads up on what could be wrong?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:45 AM

could be water leaking into tub bearing,causing binding-look up to the bottom of the tub for signs of water. when you say it doesn't spin,can you hear the motor running/trying to run,or does the whole machine just go silent?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 jakobcade

jakobcade

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:10 AM

The motor is going full blast just as it sounds when in the spin cycle...just no spinning at all. Thanks for the reply.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:00 AM

can you see the belt moving with the motor,as these units have a weird clutch pulley that is attached directly to the output shaft of the motor.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 jakobcade

jakobcade

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:23 AM

Yes, I can see the belt moving with the motor.

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:30 AM

Bad tranny time???  these have a 5 year warranty, parts only..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:40 AM

yup,typical for g.e.- 5 yr plus a week. time to shop for a whirlpool.

#8 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:16 AM

[user=1104]jakobcade[/user] wrote:

will spin one day and the next day it won't. I got it to spin once by lifting the lid and manually depressed the button that engages when the lid closes and turned the drum at the same time. Worked fine for that load. Now today, that won't work so I just took the front off and stared at it. I guess my glaring stare must have done something because now it spins just fine and I can see the water being sucked out of all the clothes. It does seem to shake more than I think it should but then I don't know what it is suppose to look like in the spin cycle. Sometimes it does seem to be really LOUD when in the spin cycle. 

:huh:Do these units have an out of balance switch or sensor, as it sound like this could be the problem. Noiseyness could be loose balance weight or not level on the floor causing excessive vibration,and causing out of balance issues.

please help us to help you, http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#9 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:15 AM

Nothing like that in these. This design has been the source of many headaches with a litany of transmission-related issues. Usual signs are water/oil inside the cabinet accompanied by an "aeroplane taking off" sound during spin.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#10 jakobcade

jakobcade

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

Yes, good analogy... it starts out rather soft/smooth sound and then ends the cycle with a roar. Since I pulled it out and took the front off and just stared at it...it has worked fine. I told my wife it was overloaded but she says NO WAY!  All I know is I am looking at the ads in the paper for a Whirlpool as suggested as I feel that doomsday is fast approaching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics